GO!

Pedigree Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 12:54am PST 
REALLY not my favorite, but a step above Ol' Roy for sure.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 7:33am PST 
You can get more bang for your buck (or perhaps in this case, meat for your money) in a different brand than either of these.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 7:34am PST 
I do not feed Pedigree and I will not because I don't want to feed Noah a dog food that is mostly corn, gluten meal and unnamed animal by-product protein. Yes, I know that some by-products are good, but if it were nothing but the good kind it would say "chicken heart, chicken liver, etc" instead of "chicken by-product meal." Nothing makes me more leery of a dog food than seeing "animal fat" or "meat meal" on the label since you have no idea what animal it came from.
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 4:54pm PST 
I found that with foods that are heavily loaded with fillers(corn, etc), by-products, preservatives(BHA, BHT, and a few others), chemicals and/or dyes... Charlie would have up to as many as three seizures in a given month. On grain-free, preservative-free, no by-product, non-dyed foods, he has MAYBE one seizure every three-six months. At absolute most. I would have to medicate him for epilepsy on cheaper dog foods. On the foods I feed(raw, and/or Acana), he has them so few and far between that my Vet wouldn't even think of medicating him because there would be more risks than benefits.

My old Rottweiler, Maya, was often fed foods such as Kirkland, Beneful, Ol' Roy etc in her previous home. Her arthritis got sooo incredibly bad, it was insane. She acted and looked crippled by it. She would scream in pain, etc. I took her in, got her on the same diet as Charlie, added raw egg and a little Glucosamine/Chondroitin to her daily supplement and she was acting like a puppy again in two weeks. I still ended up having to euthanize her at eight years old, but at least she got a bit longer, and a much less painful life from just a simple switch of nutrition, and exercise.

I've never personally known dogs that did good on those foods. And that's not to say they're not out there or that every single dog does good on grain-free, high protein foods(But there ARE grain-free foods without all the fillers that AREN'T as high protein as say, Orijen.) I just haven't seen it. Sure, dogs that LIVED on those foods. But dogs that THRIVED on them - that didn't smell, have disgusting teeth or smelly breath, that didn't have bad arthritis later, etc.. I've never seen it.

I've also never seen dogs that did bad on grain-free diets, or foods that weren't packed with fillers, chemicals, dyes, preservatives, etc. But.. again, just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I haven't seen a $1,000,000 either. wink
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 8:10pm PST 
We don't use Pedigree because we are willing to pay for potentially better health. We typically go for Authority or Iams (their natural dog food line) at a little over $1/lb if we can't find any good deals. Nutro, Eukanuba, Taste of the Wild, and Solid Gold are typical foods we buy on sale and occasionally AvoDerm when it's cheap enough. Clyde does best on AvoDerm; he poops very little, has a shiny coat, eats less, and feels just a little more perky while on it.

That aside, if I couldn't afford the premium brands, I would have no shame in using Pedigree if it wasn't causing health issues. While their food quality is worse, hey have a very good track record with recalls and food safety. With the exception of Iams, I don't think I would trust my dog's nutrition with any other cheap brands.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 3:34am PST 
Any food and a good home is better then no food and no home, but Pedigree and a lot of other more expensive grocery store brands often cost as much as Diamond natural or other better foods. In some cases, they cost more plus whatever the vet bills are for health problems caused by a poor diet.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:15am PST 
Before i knew any better i fed Pedigree mixed with Iams. The dogs had really dull coats and nasty poops!! It made Kashmir's hair fall out in clumps..for a Boxer should not be happening. We now feel Solid Gold Mmellenia and she loves it.
[notify]
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 7:58pm PST 
My boyfriend's family's hound mix was fed Pedigree until I suggested they switch. He looked fairly healthy on it but there were a few things I noticed about him... He shed horribly. You couldn't pet him without coating yourself and everything around him with fur. His teeth were also awful along with his breath. I recommended a Canadian brand (President's Choice NUTRITION FIRST) that was a few dollars more than Pedigree along with salmon oil and you could definitely see the difference. His coat is wonderful now and his teeth and breath are getting better (I offer the family any raw bones we have extra of). He doesn't shed at all anymore.

If I HAD to feed a low quality grocery store food, Pedigree isn't the end of the world. I know it doesn't have dyes, chemical preservatives, sugar, etc but there are many foods out there that are only a couple dollars more that have much better ingredients.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:32pm PST 
Pedigree does have artificial colors.
[notify]
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:27pm PST 
When I got my dog six months ago I asked my vet what he feeds. He said he feeds Pedigree and doesn't notice a big health difference in the dogs fed the expensive stuff versus Pedigree. So, I tried it for about two weeks. Stella had the worst gas ever, and that's when I learned about how corn isn't a natural part of a dog's diet. I don't want to feed a bunch of fillers.

I tried a couple of other brands before settling on Fromm Puppy Gold. Love it, and at some point I'll get that 12th bag free! And I also feel better knowing that Fromm has never had a recall.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5