GO!

Pedigree Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 11:02am PST 
sabi, I dont feel that way. I am far from rich.

diamond naturals is what I can do. its not expensive, my local feed store carries it so its closer then a grocery store, it has better ingredients, and in the 4 + years sence I switched, dylan has not seized.

and yes, my dogs get some not so great stuff in treats, but they dont get them every day.

as long as the dogs are fed and loved.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 12:04pm PST 
My Mom's dogs ate Pedigree for six years. Greasy (and I mean GREASY) coats, horrid teeth, bad breath, gigantic nasty frequent poop, low energy levels... No, I will not feed it or any other similar brand. I switched them off that "food" when I moved back in and saw a huge increase in overall health.
If you can afford it, feed something else. The Girls now get Taste of the Wild which is a decently priced food for relatively high-quality ingredients.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 3:25pm PST 
Dylan that wasn't directed at yousmile
I live in Canada where a lot of the feed mill brands aren't available. Also our prices are vastly different from yours and I have a dog who is allergic to flaxseed, which is the now in thing for dogfood apparently. I hear people bashing Pedigree all the time and as I said, over several decades and hundreds of dogs I've not had a problem with it. No loose poops, no greasy coats, no bad breathe, definitely no lack of energy and good teeth. I have also admitted that my dogs kibble is heavily supplemented and perhaps thats the difference. Either way I dislike seeing owners belittled for doing their best, or Dog forbid, surrendering their pets because people have told them their best isn't good enough.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 5:02pm PST 
My first dog, a Golden Retriever, was fed Pedigree his entire life, and he lived to be 13 which is pretty good for that breed. That said, I would never feed that food now. He was relatively healthy overall, but stank strongly of dog, had a greasy coat, nasty breath, filthy teeth, and constant recurring ear infections. At the time, I thought dogs were just smelly and greasy, "dog breath" was normal, floppy eared dogs got ear infections, and that everyone scrubbed their hands with soap after touching their dog to get the rank stench off.

Like Uno, I'd feed scraps off my table before feeding my dogs grocery store foods. I don't think people who choose to feed Pedigree or similar foods shouldn't own dogs or anything like that, it's just my own personal decision never to do so. After seeing the difference a good diet can make, I never want to go back. I love that I can pet my dog without smelling like dog after I do, that his face can be inches from mine and I don't smell a thing, that his coat shines and isn't the least bit greasy, and that he's energetic and toned. I really just find owning a dog more enjoyable when it's fed a healthy diet.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 5:15pm PST 
I have to avoid rosemary extract. and thats hard to do.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 5:27pm PST 
Sabi, this vet noticed that adding appropriate scraps to cheaper kibbles helps improve the dog's overall condition quite a lot.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/nutritioncomments.html
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:04pm PST 
I mix in pedigree kibble with JT's raw sometimes and it's fine. However a new grain free grocery brand just came out in Australia and I've started buying that instead. He really likes that one, even more than pedigree. So I'm gonna spend a few extra dollars and get that from now on.

To me, the brand of kibble doesn't matter because it's just an occasional food, but if I was going to feed it all the time I would get orijen or something. And a good canned. Pedigree' s ingredients aren't the worst, but not the best either.

Mixed with fresh food and scraps I think it's okay.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:25pm PST 
When you feed a corn based food, you have to feed more. Higher quality meat based foods take less to feed. I also mix in table scaps into my dog's food. I aint rich but I only have one small dog to feed. Eating a healthy diet makes you healthier, same with dogs. Healthy dogs are much cheaper to keep. I have not taken my dog to the vet in 2 years.

I would not call improvement on allergies and healthy weight small changes.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:42pm PST 
I do think there's a big difference between feeding 1/3 Pedigree and 2/3 fresh foods, and feeding 100% grocery store kibble. Agree with the article Maxwell linked that the worst of the negative effects from lower quality kibbles are going to be seen in dogs that aren't getting anything else in their diet. If I had to feed kibble, I would definitely add fresh foods to the diet, even if the additions weren't the majority.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 10:04pm PST 
Onyx I agree, I always supplemented with fresh food and it probably made the difference.
Milton, Shadow is allergic to beef, so not rocket science and is slightly underweight due to extreme energy levels. Sabs needed to loose a few lbs after being retired and is allergic to flax, her allergies were not a problem on Pedigree.
My vet visits are for problems related to poor breeding not poor diet.

The point of the thread was for the OP to collect info on feeding Pedigree. My dogs had no issues with it ever. As an aside to that I did point out that the whole 20+ years I was heavily supplementing with fresh food.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5