GO!

Puppy metabolism

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 7:17am PST 
My sister recently got a puppy and it made me think about this- When I got Dar I asked the vet how much I should feed him and she said it didn't matter because puppy's metabolisms are so fast they can eat and eat and never get fat ( until about a year old or when they are fixed). Sometimes if Dar was hungry I would give him two bowls of food for breakfast/dinner, but I haven't heard this anywhere else. Has anyone else heard that puppy's can eat as much as they want?
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 9:55am PST 
Puppies CANNOT eat as much as they want, or two things will happen, diarrhea or fat puppy. Fat puppy can result in growth issue, and well diarrhea is not good either.
Some breeds will eat and eat and eat, and never stop. Puppies should be fed based on weight, and activity level, and should be monitored consistently. Using the feeding guidelines and adjust.
[notify]