GO!

What Is The Best Possible Food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 11:01pm PST 
Thanks everyone!

Just an update, putting Bella on kibble just for a short time so I can stock pile a bunch of raw, that way I don't keep running out.

Started her on Wellness Core Small Breed, and let me just say, I'm counting the days till I can start raw again! laugh out loud Smell breath, nasty looking teeth, and worst of all, the ENERGY! On raw she's perfectly calm when it's time to be calm (I'm on the computer, sleeping, ect) But she had great energy when she was supposed to (On walks, when playing with toys, when out in the yard) Now she's just CRAZY with energy, as I'm typing this she's try to shove another toy in my face when we just finished played fetch and tug a few minuets ago for about an hour. big laugh It's like she's turned into a border collie with all her energy, and I haven't changed anything about her routine (Exercise and mental stimulation and what not)

One last question, is it fine to mix different brands/kinds of foods? I'm switching between which food I want to feed. At first I started with Innova the fish kind, then I decided I didn't only want to feed fish so I got the Wellness Core Small Breed, then decided I didn't want the "Formulated with High Quality Protein to Help Support the Higher Energy Needs of Small Dogs" Because she's got wayyyyyy high enough energy already, so I got the normal stuff. So since I need to use up all of them, I'm wondering if I can just mix them for now? Would it actually be better to mix different formulas/brands?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 11:53pm PST 
It's just fine to do that. Some say not to for various reasons, but I think it's not gonna hurt since it's only for a short time. I mix and match all the time and don't have any issues.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 6:18am PST 
Personally, I feed Noah something different every day. He gets a variety of kibble, canned food, Honest Kitchen, raw and whatever else I happen to have. I think giving him a variety of foods is good for him. When I fed kibble more frequently than I do now, I would always buy him something different. Even if it was just a different protein source in the same brand of food, I figured he would appreciate something different.
[notify]

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 5:09am PST 
I think it is great to mix it up for them. I know I wouldn't want to eat the exact same thing every day! I would get sick of it quick.
[notify]
Roger Biduk

A- species-appropri- ate diet is the- best!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 9:27pm PST 
The best is a balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet followed by a frozen raw meat diet then freeze-dried raw. Grain-free low starch canned food and the same type of kibble is last.
[notify]
Roger Biduk

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 9:32pm PST 
Hello Bella, What city are you near. I can refer you to some stores that sell the good stuff.

Edited by moderator Tue Feb 5, '13 11:50am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Roger Biduk

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 9:38pm PST 
Hello Bella,
Orijen is the best kibble, up to 11 meat/fish ingredients, all human-grade, many fresh and not frozen, no fillers. Voted best pet food 3 years in a row.

Feeding just kibble can eventually give Bella serious kidney problems because of low moisture content, is a huge problem with cats.

But you should be feeding raw or buy frozen raw.
Roger Biduk.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 10:45am PST 
Ziwi Peak is probably the best, but it's freeze-dried, not kibble, and is very expensive. I can't afford it.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 10:44pm PST 
The best dog food is the food that your dog does well in.

I was feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness to my English Bulldog and Bichon Frise until I got another English Bulldog who did not do well on it, so I moved all 3 dogs to Earthborn Holistics Primitive Natural. In my experience, some dogs can be fed any kibble on any given day and they're just fine. But most of the dogs I've cared for get diarrhea if you switch up their dog formula without a transition period. English Bulldogs and Bichon Frises are especially sensitive as they come from a line that is prone to allergies or intolerance. You can't just switch their kibbles up on them because you'll end up with a very sick dog.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2