GO!

Help Settle a Debate (Which Dog Food?)

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Lillian THDN- CGC

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:05pm PST 
Currently our Shetland Sheepdog has been raised on Eukanuba Puppy - Small Breed Kibble (from the Breeder). For treats I like to use Natural Balance's Premium Food Rolls and cut them up into bite sized treats. I mentioned today to my husband that I would like to slowly transition her to a different brand of dog food. He gave me a very perplexed look and asked why - if it works, why would you switch it. True. I guess I just have a preference to brands that I know are a better product / healthier. I could of course show him ingredient lists or go to dogfoodanalysis.com and talk about it - but is that going over board? Should I just use what works (thus far)?
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 CL4- OAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:17pm PST 
If you can afford better food, I would certainly try it. I think both you and your dog will be happier.. better coat, less poop etc. If you can't afford it, not the end of the world, so don't feel bad.. there are certainly foods that are not even up to that quality.

I like to tell people the cheaper foods are kind of the equivilent of us eating processed foods all the time.. we can live off it and might be relativly healthy, but we would feel so much better, have more energy etc if we ate right.

I think its worth it to switch! smile
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 10:10pm PST 
Eukanuba is not a great dog food. You could find something that is both cheaper and higher quality. There is a possibility your dog won't do good on another dog food. Some dogs can have issues with certain ingredients.

I would try to find a formula that is similar to the Eukanuba dog food you are feeding right now but lacks by products, corn meal, or brewer's rice. By products are not in better dog foods and should not be in a kibble at Eukanuba's price point.
[notify]

Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 11:43pm PST 
Definitely go for a better food if you can afford it. Why not? Saying "why change what works?" is kind of a poor excuse in my opinion. Take the best care of your dog that you can, and go with what you believe in. If you want to switch foods for something better then I think you should do it! If anyone questions you about it tell them you're doing what you feel is right.

I have a Sheltie who will be 8 in March, and I want him around for as long as possible, so I want the best for him. smile
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 7:46am PST 
If you are happy with it, and your dog seems to like it. Then I guess it is fine to stay with that food. But if your goal is to feed a better food, something without all the by-products and fillers, then it may be worth just buying a small bag of something out just to see if your dog likes it. There are foods out there that are better then eukanuba that cost about the same or even cheaper. But the idea to change has be be yours.
[notify]