GO!

Sick of the dog food snobs!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 6 of 10: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 7:31pm PST 
Some of you might remember Senora. She was returned to me by her first adopter because she was sick all the time. When I asked what they were feeding her they told me BB puppy. I told them to change her food, it might be too rich for her. Three weeks later they returned her, still on the same food. Because they were told it was the best food, so that couldn't be the problem. I did a 24 hour fast, rice and boiled hamburger and put her back on Pedigree. She was fine in 3 days.
People get hung up on what should happen and don't see what's in front of them. Not all dogs can eat all foods. And I agree with Charlie, being a good pet parent is about much more then food. People need to stop making assumptions and giving unsolicited advice.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 4:42am PST 
no lily, no offence taken.
my dogs are far from perfect.and my food isnt "top of the line". but its what I can do, and what works for my dogs.with Dylan being epileptic, I cant go switching just to see if theres something better

I really wish the big brand name companies would care more about what goes in the food, then the year end profit report
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:34am PST 
My pups have health issues that prevent me from feeding them "better" foods. I also wish more dog food companies focused on quality ingredients rather than marketing or profits.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 2:55pm PST 
Lily, I think that's an important point.

I tend to judge less the buyer in these cases, and more the producer.

They are extremely deceptive, to the point of outright liars in some cases. People buying these cheap foods are, honestly, being ripped off in many respects, and being misled by large companies trying their best ONLY to move product.

It just isn't defendable. Am I a dog food snob because of how I feel? Maybe, I personally DO believe feeding certain foods and certain brands is dangerous... not because "omg corn is going to kill your dog it needs to be on grain free high protein!!", but because some of these companies ARE dangerous, ARE liars, and ARE putting animals at risk.

I almost lost 2 cats to the BS that happened in 2007. You're darned right I feel a tinge of anger when I see someone put a Purina product in their buggy. Not because I'm judging that person, but because that company is still out there putting those consumers at risk, and not giving two damns about it confused
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 3:57pm PST 
I'm sorry that you almost lost your cats because of what happened in 07. That was truly awful. I am shocked that after that happened that there wasn't a massive overhaul of the pet food industry. The pet industry itself is largely unredulated which is disturbing and something really needs to be done about it. I no longer have the luxury of judging products or companies. I'm stuck with what works and hoping for the best at this point. It does seem that more people are paying attention and learning, and they are no longer believing some of these companies. There are so many options out there, which is why I've run into so many "dog food snobs". laugh out loud It's just really offensive the way some people spread that message sometimes.

Edited by author Sun Jan 6, '13 4:12pm PST

[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:36pm PST 
My cats have serious skin and allergy problems (and one showed IBD type appearance on X-ray) and they've only ever been fed high quality/grain-free foods their whole lives. They are littermates and I have had them from 3 weeks old. shrug
Their issues are a little better if we avoid certain proteins although I think they have both food and environmental allergies (and probably other immune issues, possibly genetic since they are littermates).

Edited by author Sun Jan 6, '13 11:38pm PST

[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 3:27pm PST 
That's true, too. There are some dogs that don't do well on some foods, for a few different reasons.
[notify]
Hadley

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:29am PST 
It's no so much a food snob as it is being an animal lover and knowing a lot about nutrition and seeing what these "cheap foods" are all about. Genetically modified foods have never been tested for the long-term effects on animals (or humans) so to be safe, why wouldn't you want to avoid them? There are many countries around the world banning GMO's all together, what does that say? So for starters, we need to be looking for foods without GMO in it. Also, ingredients from China, why would you want to take the risk when you've seen the problems it's caused? I feed foods to my cat that do not have minerals and vitamins sourced from China, so it's not impossible to do.

I agree ingredients themselves will vary from dog to dog on what is good, but it's the QUALITY of the ingredients people need to pay attention to. There's a reason 1 in 2 dogs will die of cancer and a reason diabetes in canines has skyrocketed in this country. Pets are considerably more unhealthy today than they used to, as are humans, and with humans this is the first generation that won't live longer than the previous. That's alarming and it's not okay to settle on a low-quality ingredient kibble. Nature's Logic is cheap and affordable and doesn't use any Chinese ingredients. They have many proteins, too. No genetically modified ingredients.

So my pet peeve is owners not taking the time to find a QUALITY food to feed their pet. I mean, if you're feeding kibble you're alterting their diet already, so why would you give them the crappiest ingredients to boot? It's foolishness and if that makes me a food snob then so be it. But it's more like an educated consumer putting her money where her mouth is.

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 5:31pm PST

Approved by forums moderator
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 10:04am PST 
I think it's kind of funny when people say we should pay as much attention to our dogs' diets as own own human diets. I'd say as junk food loving family, our relative nutritional quality of food is Old Roy, so the Nutro our dogs get is way better quality food than the humans in our house eat hail
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 10:40am PST 
Where I live doing a homemade diet would cost a lot more than kibble. I have a terminally ill dog, who has special dietary needs, and there is very little he can eat that doesn't make him sick. I've tried several diets for him and everything either gives him diarrhea or makes him vomit. After 6-8 months of that, we decided that it was best to try him on an RX diet, and you know what, it works. He is doing really well on it, he's happier and has more energy, his coat is shiny, he isn't shedding as much, he's gained back some of the weight he'd lost. Lily gets diarrhea or stomach aches on a lot of the "better" foods, so we end up throwing out most of the "better" foods or giving them away. There are a few "better" foods that she can eat that I have access to and can afford, but even then I've had people make snide comments about what I can feed her.

Look, I don't care if you have personal standards for what you feed your dog, if you do then that's fantastic, that's not what this thread was about. To me the dog food snobs are those who are overly judgmental and rude to others over what they feed. If you want to educate people, be my guest, just don't be rude about it because it hurts your message more than it helps it.

Edited by author Tue Jan 8, '13 10:52am PST

[notify]
  (Page 6 of 10: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10