GO!

is there a healthy and grain free food without chicken?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 4:05am PST 
Thanks everyone. Rocky and Dreamy are just about out of food so I think I'm going to look through all the recipes at tractor supply and see what I can find. I know they have several grain free products. That way I can get them switched over and when I make the switch from puppy formula to adult for Sparkles, it'll be a little easier I hope.
[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 12:09pm PST 
What about Canidae PureSEA? I think Beasley is allergic to chicken, so I've been looking for alternatives. I noticed that a lot of the duck and venison foods also contain sweet potatoes, and sadly, she doesn't like sweet potatoes.

Suggestions?
Jethro

Design jewelry,- not dogs!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 12:25pm PST 
My chicken problem dogs are usually my Frenchies and I've managed to get around it by feeding them ground raw. I usually get Stella & Chewy's, and there are plenty of different meat sources, although, I must admit, the RAW chicken doesn't seem to cause any issues.
While the premade IS pricey, when you factor in the cost of the veterinarian visits for the skin issues without it, it becomes MUCH more affordable. Premade is absolutely the neatest food to feed...it comes in a bag of individually frozen patties. I keep several in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator...when I feed one, I simply replace it in the bag with another one from the freezer which will be thawed and ready for the next meal. You actually don't even need to touch the thawed meat, you can just shake it out of the zip lock bag and into their dish. Stella & Chewy's doesn't separate when thawing and leave a bloody mess, they hold their shape and are firm and fairly dry.
The best part is my dogs absolutely LOVE them. I truly wish I could afford to feed ALL my dogs with them.
[notify]

Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 4:01pm PST 
We try to avoid chicken, grains, and eggs when possible. Here is what we have tried:

- Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream
- Wellness CORE Ocean
- Avoderm Trout & Pea
- Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix Grain Free and Poultry Free (Salmon)
- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison, Sweet Potato and Venison
- Canidae Pure Sea
[notify]
Carbon

I'll just take a- nap until you- pet me.

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 11:59pm PST 
My dog Carbon is allergic to poultry and wheat as well. I absolutely LOVE Go! Natural, I feed the Salmon and Oatmeal formula. It's a bit pricey but worth the money. Orijen is also a very good food.
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 10:08am PST 
Horizon has a Horizon Legacy Fish formula food and also a Pulsar Fish formula food.
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 10:15am PST 
I have had real good luck lately with the Natural Choice fish grain free food. I was having all kind of problems with skin and itching. And this really seemed to help.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 3:09pm PST 
Seth, you may want to read your ingredient list for that Nutro food... it contains chicken fat which is certainly NOT suitable for a dog with chicken allergies, what the original poster was asking about was a CHICKEN FREE, healthy, grain free food.
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 5:38am PST 
I got Dreamy and Rocky taste of the wild pacific stream and I let Sparkles taste it. They all seem to like it so far though Sparkles wont be on it for at least another 6 months. Even the cat dove in to steal a bite lol. Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully it will work out smile
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 7:32pm PST 
I found this info useful about allergies...especially chicken...

http://www.ehow.com/about_6528867_chicken-allergy-dogs .html

http://www.ehow.com/about_6584795_chicken-allergies-dogs.ht ml

The primary allergens are proteins...but depending on the severity/sensitivity level, as these articles state, sometimes removal of any chicken product is required.

I do know doggers allergic to chicken who tolerate chicken fat in treats...but they can not tolerate chicken, chicken meal, or chicken by products...any of those would have chicken p;rotein.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3