GO!

is there a healthy and grain free food without chicken?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 6:20am PST 
When we first brought Sparkles home, I knew she was allergic to something in her foods as we kept having problems with every brand we got (she'd get really itchy, diahhrea, and ear infections). That is, until we found taste of the wild which she is on now and doing well. Well, I bought the dogs some chicken jerky strips for their treats and Sparkles problems have flared up again. I stopoed giving them to her so thst problem is solved. The problem is, though there is egg product in her food now and its not causing any problems, the adult formula has chicken meal in it. I cant feed her that. I'm keeping her on puppy food until about 18 months so I have about 7 months to find another food that will work well. Price doesn't matter but it has to be grain free and chicken free. I prefer the first 3 ingredients be meat products. Any thoughts here?
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 9:57am PST 
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream
Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain
Taste of the Wild Southwest Canyon
Nature's Variety
Wellness Core Ocean
Wellness Simple Food Solutions
Natural Balance LID
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 12:11pm PST 
Check out those TOTW's carefully, some have chicken fat, even though the meat source is NOT chicken!
Actually, just read some of the bags of other brands in our store... MANY brands have chicken fat or meal OR egg products listed as ingredients although they claim to be chicken free. I was just surprised (and disappointed) to see Egg products listed in my Earthborn Holistic Great Prarie!! I know the lamb meal is a recent addition, but I must say, I did miss the egg product IF it has always been there.
I stopped using TOTW due to the amount of chicken in EACH flavor, but that may have changed recently?????
[notify]

Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 1:00pm PST 
Orijen 6 fish, Orijen regional red & Acana Grasslands, Innova evo red meat and Innova fish( although several have whole eggs listed as an ingredient)
I like the other suggestions too.. some Natures variety foods do have chicken in them though... however they have limited ingredient diets as well now.
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 1:38pm PST 
I would recommend Orijen Regional Red, it's a pretty good food and it's all red meat and chicken free.

The first three ingredients are

Deboned Wild Boar
Fresh Deboned Lamb
and Beef Liver

It's also appropriate for all life stages
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 2:25pm PST 
Unfortunately, MOST orijen formulas, including Regional Red, do contain whole eggs. If it is a serious sensitivity or allergy to chicken, eggs will often cause the same reactions.
edited for spelling cuz I can't spell!!!!

Edited by author Tue Dec 18, '12 2:26pm PST

[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 2:30pm PST 
Toto, I think they must have changed something recently. Taste of the Wild's Pacific Stream and Sierra Mountain do not contain any chicken, chicken fat, or eggs. Southwest Canyon does contain egg product though.

Edited by author Tue Dec 18, '12 2:31pm PST

[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 9:53pm PST 
Nutro Natural Choice has a Vennison/Potato formula and a Fish/Potato - check out their ingredients here:

http://www.nutro.com/natural-dog-food/natural-choice-dog-fo od/dry/adult-grain-free-venison-and-potato.aspx

If you're dealing with an allergy...the allergen is almost always to a protein source...so the meat or the grain in most dog foods. Vennison and Fish are "novel" meat proteins and are often used in limited ingredient diets, I think they'd be worth trying. Cindy switched me to Vennison/Brown Rice after we realized I was reacting to lamb.
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 9:59pm PST 
California Natural makes five flavors of limited ingredient grain free food. The not-chicken flavors are:

Lamb
Venison
Salmon
Kangaroo
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 3:50am PST 
Thanks everyone. Rocky and Dreamy are just about out of food so I think I'm going to look through all the recipes at tractor supply and see what I can find. I know they have several grain free products. That way I can get them switched over and when I make the switch from puppy formula to adult for Sparkles, it'll be a little easier I hope.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3