GO!

What should I feed my lab/collie pup?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Megan

Ninja- Sneaky and smart

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 4:02pm PST 
She is 6months old, 42lbs, and relatively active. I'm new to the puppy scene (Most of my dogs have been over a year or 2 old) and I've been feeding her Beneful® Healthy Growth for Puppies. I want to feed her the best I can without breaking the bank. I live near a Petsmart, so any suggestions that I could find there or is Beneful a good choice?
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 4:16pm PST 
Check out dogfoodadvisor.com, they rate dog food by ingredients.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 5:07pm PST 
I'd read the first post in this thread: So You Are Confused By Dog Food. It explains how to choose a healthy kibble, and at the end of the post lists some foods with good ingredients and foods that are usually best avoided.

ETA: Since your dog is a growing, large breed puppy, you'll also want to look at calcium levels when picking a food. This thread is worth looking at on that subject: Large Breed Puppy Nutrition

Edited by author Sat Dec 8, '12 5:29pm PST

[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 9:46am PST 
Beneful is popular, but not really that good a food. They do a lot of advertising and people respond to that...A better and reasonably priced choice would be something like Taste of the Wild. Considering the breeds and the fact that they often have skin issues, I would try to find a grain free type.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 10:03pm PST 
Beneful is one of the worst dog foods IMO. The ingredients make the food, not the commercials and pretty bags. Beneful is low on quality. It consists of cheap grains, meat industry wastes, chemicals, and sugar. They add sugar to the food so dogs will eat it and dye it with artificial colors so it appeals to people with wallets. This dog food is expensive when you consider there is not much substance or quality anything. It's a gimmick and is merely marketed as healthy.

It's best to feed a meat based dog food with minimal grains and no gimmicks. Avoid by-products, artificial colors/flavors, unspecified animal ingredients (ex: animal digest), sugar, corn syrup, menidione, and propylene glycerol. Other than the corn syrup all of this stuff is in Beneful. These are major red flags in dog food.

Dog food ingredients are listed in prevalence, so if corn is listed first, the dog food is corn based confused. Look for pet food that lists a named meat source first in the ingredient list like chicken, beef, ect. This means the food has higher quality proteins in it.

I have feed my dog many different brands. Dog foods I recommend would be Chicken Soup For the Pet lovers Soul, Nutri Source, and Walmart's Pure Balance. These are some of the more affordable dog foods out there with good ingredients.

Feed the best you can afford, but remember dog foods with more quality meat based protein sources require less feeding.
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 4:12am PST 
I second Savanna's remark about Taste of the Wild. Its what we feed all of our pets and they've never been healthier (we use high prairie puppy, high prairie adult, and pacific steam for the cat). Its grain free and its cheaper than a lot of the other high quality foods out there (it's rated 5 stars on dogfoodadvisor.com). Beneful is really not good at all. Nothing but sugar and fillers. Try to aim for anything grain free, no by-products, and a meat source as the first ingrediet. Www.dogfoodadvisor.com is an excellent source. Its where I searched for something healthy for my pups.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 5:15pm PST 
I work at petsmart, and more and mmore people and coming in telling me that their dog has health problems because they feed it. I have been feeding the Nutro products for years now with great success. My dogs like it and they look great on it
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 10:00pm PST 
For a reasonable price while still upgrading from the Beneful, check into Nutro Max Large Breed Puppy.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/nutro-max-dog-food- dry/
Dog Food Advisor graded it at 3.5 stars out of 5

Other sites have it graded ...
http://www.elkcountryanimalshelter.org/GradeDOG%20FOOD.html

And yes you will see higher rated foods but I think if you look at the price factor, Max is a bargain and it's a huge step up from Beneful
[notify]
Keno

Semi Health Nut

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 6:45am PST 
Dont be afraid to look other places for food too such as local feed stores or smaller local shops. They might not have the selection of pet stores but lots of times they have higher quality foods and good prices.
[notify]
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 10:32am PST 
Copied from dogfoodanalysis.com
nutro max ingredients- Ingredients: Chicken meal, ground whole wheat, wheat flour, ground rice, rice bran, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), corn gluten meal, dried plain beet pulp, natural flavors, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), l-carnitine, potassium iodide, copper sulfate, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, biotin, manganous oxide, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), vitamin A supplement, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid

Taste of the Wild ingredients- Ingredients: Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, Yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid

don't know about yopu but I prefer feeding and paying for meats instead of fillers
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2