GO!

Food recommendation following bladder stone removal

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 12:10pm PST 
Oops, sorry Ellie! You did do the work.

If a dog has a problem that will reoccur if permanent measures aren't taken and the owners aren't able to do all the research you and I and so many Dogsters do to figure out what is best for the dogs then it is better to do the prescription diet than go right back to the original diet.

Haven't seen any Dogsters that are lazy about taking care of their dogs! Vets see a lot of them.
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 10:47am PST 
Thanks Maxwell!!!

dog
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 11:28am PST 
Although there are dogs that have "sterile" struvite, the majority of the dogs have infection induced struvite. What this means is that the dog gets a UTI, and the UTI changes the Urine PH and allows the struvite to proliferate. There is no such thing as a food that prevents a UTI.
Once the infection is cleared up, you have the option of using whatever food you like, but the infection MUST be entirely cleared up. Often times there are two scenarios that happen. The type of bacteria is not cultured to ensure that the anti-biotic used is correct, and/or a follow up UA is not done.
Re-occurence typically happens because of these two reasons, hence the need for the PH test strips.
D-Mannose is quite effective with this http://www.vetinfo.com/d-mannose-for-cats.html this is cat article but same diff
As well once re-occurence is continual is may involve cystitis which means you have to treat the issue for a bladder perspective.
[notify]

Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 3:53am PST 
It's also possible that the frequent urinary tract infections that caused the stones were initiated by dietary imbalance in the first place. Which is why the vet recommended the food in the first place.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 2:52pm PST 
Its also possible that your vet recommended it because Science Diet buys him nice lunches and hosted the lonely little 1 hour class on nutrition that vets are required to take in school.

Again, want help with diet, contact an animal nutritionist. Your vet likely isn't as qualified in such matters as an actual nutritionist would be.
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 6:55pm PST 
Well, maybe I'm being a bit too paranoid (as I often am) but Joey doesn't seem to pee a lot, or drink a lot, and spends a lot of time sleeping. He is 8 so it's hard to know if he's just getting older or something is wrong. In any case, this is a little off the topic, but I wanted to ask: How do you know something is wrong, i.e., that your dog might have stones, in the first place? I really haven't paid that much attention to Joey's peeing habits before, so I don't know what amount, color, etc. is normal for him. He sometimes tries to pee on a walk and can't, but that seems to be very common for a lot of dogs, so I've never thought anything of it. He doesn't cry, the urine looks yellowish, and his thirst hasn't really increased or decreased much if at all.

How do you know there's a problem? Also, where can you get the test strips - just a good pet store? And what about cranberry supplement (or the real thing) - what's a good supplement, or amount of cranberry to feed a 35 pound dog?
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 4:05am PST 
To increase his water intake, float kibble in water, feed him canned or raw food, and/or offer no salt chicken or beef broth.

Urine should be yellow, preferably not too dark. It should not be orange or have blood in it.

Urine pH test strips can be bought at any human drugstore.

My dog has stones but of a different type.
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 9:48am PST 
"It's also possible that the frequent urinary tract infections that caused the stones were initiated by dietary imbalance in the first place. Which is why the vet recommended the food in the first place"

Can you clarify what you mean by dietary imbalances? I am not sure about a lack of, or too much of something causing an infection?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2