GO!

Looking for long-lasting meal/treat ideas

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 6:26pm PST 
Hi pups, it's been awhile since I posted here. I'm looking for some fresh ideas to stretch Hazel's meals out as long as possible, as part of her separation anxiety treatment.

She does have a Kong, but if I make it too difficult, it just becomes frustrating and she gives up.

One thing that has worked well is to put some sticky food into a tupperware container so she has to lick and lick to get it clean - runny fried egg yolks, and peanut butter. She also likes to lick a frozen block of broth. Anybody have more ideas for foods that will take a long time to lick clean?

We've also got bully sticks (but she won't eat them when we're gone; too much work, apparently confused) and pig ears.

She also has several treat-dispensing toys; although though I'd like to add to the repertoire, I need some time to save up for them first. In the meantime, what kind of treat-dispensing toys have you made for your dog with low-cost materials?

Thanks!
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:39am PST 
I have a slow feeder bowl. I've put lickable treats in it and it slows down Scruffy quite a bit.

This is the bowl I have:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C7S2Q2/ref=oh_details_o0 0_s00_i00

(Please remove any spaces that may appear in the URL.)

I've seen people make treat dispensing toys from old containers, like an old plastic Mayo jar or butter tub. Clean out the container and drill a hole in the lid. If the lid is rough or sharp you can rub it with a little bit of sandpaper or wrap some duct tape on the edges. Then fill the container with treats and give it to your pup. The dog can then nose the container around to try and knock the treats out of the container. Depending on how big you make the hole you can make it harder or easier to get the treats out. Or you can get really creative and try putting something inside the container to block some of the treats to make it even more challenging for your pup.

Edited by author Fri Nov 30, '12 10:53am PST

[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:19pm PST 
One of my favorite things to do is take Noah's kibble out to a grassy area and just throw it out it every direction. He'll spend a good long time trying to find every single piece. This is of course assuming you don't treat your lawn with any sort of pesticides or anything and that you have a grassy area where you can do this.

I've found that Kongs are most effective when filled with either canned food or raw burger. I can see Noah gets frustrated with how long it takes him to get at it but he likes the flavor of it so much that he'll keep on licking at it.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:20pm PST 
I use cat treats in a Kong-like toy with a layer of peanut butter frozen over the opening. It'll keep Callie busy for awhile. I always have cat treats on hand anyway and they're small enough to roll out easily after the peanut butter is licked out.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 6:28am PST 
Feeding meals via a tricky treat ball, kong wobbler, or bob a lot will help slow the dog down it does for Bella.

Here's a video of it.
http://youtu.be/S8m84ibx3PA

I'd throw kibble in the grass coarse I made sure the dogs saw so they'd go to that area and eat it.

In winter I do it for Saya and she has fun. I don't do that for Bella as she gets cold easily so I rather her spend time outside playing or running around.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 7:35am PST 
Like another poster said just freeze one layer on the kong so it's slow then rewarding. Also use a knife to spread peanut butter or canned food on the walls so some of the kibble sticks but not all of it when you freeze it. I'll also take a chew of some kind and freeze it half way in the kong.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 8:14pm PST 
Thanks for the ideas.
We made some treat dispensing toys by cutting holes into old plastic containers (gallon milk jug and a large yogurt container). They work just as well as the Twist N Treat, Nibble Kibble, etc. that we already had, in fact, I think she likes them better because they're so big and fun to kick around! Now I'm going to keep my eye out for other things around the house that can be used as interactive toys.
Also, she has finally graduated to eating frozen Kongs while we're gone - she would never do that before starting anti-anxiety medication (too anxious to put in that level of effort, apparently).
Now we're able to stretch her morning meal out to 30-60 minutes. happy dance
[notify]