GO!

Is our dog eating enough?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

River

Silly girl

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 10:41pm PST 
For the most part I believe that puppies will eat what they need, and will not overeat. What about undereating (is that a word)? Our 16 month old Mini Dachshund has the opposite problem. She isn't eating hardly anything, and to our surprise has grown an inch in length! She is not losing weight, and acts normally in every other way (energy level, playful, etc.). When she was growing on a weekly basis, she ate up to 2 cups/day. Now she is eating 1/4-1/2 a cup/day. Should I be concerned? We have a checkup scheduled with her Vet next week, yet I would like to hear your opinion.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 6:53am PST 
I would certainly ask the vet but often when their major growth spurt is over puppies/dogs will eat what they need,which depending on breed,activity level,etc... can be a very small ammount. My 110+ pound male Akita went from about 5 cups a day to only about 2-3 cups a day. As long as he/she is maintaining weight,acting normally,and not having other issues there most likely is not a problem. Please let us know what the vet has to say.
[notify]
Mya

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 11:55pm PST 
River is so adorable. Our mini Dachshund just turned three and she is 10lbs and only eats 1/2 cup of kibble twice a day and sometimes does not eat all of that. She is not a big snack eater either but she stays the same weight and loves to run all over the backyard and go for walks everyday. She is just so busy but healthy.

You should have the vet check her out just to be sure, not all dogs are food driven. Let us know what the vet says.
[notify]

Ikan

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 3:47pm PST 
It is not uncommon for a dog to eat less when they get to between 18-24 months. I have one at about 20 months that is not eating as much as he was 4 months ago. My boy is very active, and is not under weight at all. Just keep an eye on the dog to make sure they do not get to thin.
[notify]