GO!

Is ToTW really the best?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 8:58am PST 
There are several brands of food that are a similar cost. Nutrisource grain-free and pulsar are the two that come to mind. I believe Blue Buffalo is also in that price bracket.
[notify]
Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 12:07pm PST 
I wouldn't recommend it anyone just because the company has had some many recalls, they've had plenty of time to clean up their act, but failed to do so repeatedly.

Acana only costs few dollars more and has better ingredients and better reputation. We also like Fromm, Canine caviar and horizon legacy. If you want something similar to the cost of tots, Nutri-source grain free is an affordable option.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 1:06pm PST 
1. Pedigree
2. Ol Roy
3. Kibbles & Bits
4. Purina Dog Chow
5. Iams
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What is this, Guest? A list of bad pet food?

TOTW is a good pet food. My dog ate it years ago. I feed grain inclusive food because my dog is not allergic to grains and it is cheaper. I don't feed foods with corn, by-products, sugars, artificial colors, chemicals and other questionable ingredients. Every pet food on that list posted by the guest has at least one of those ingredients.

TOTW is a good choice. I have fed my dog about 15 different brands including this one. Rotating brands is something I do often. I think he does better on food with higher quality grains like rice and oatmeal as opposed to grain free foods. It is true the best food is a good product your dog thrives on.
[notify]

♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 1:45pm PST 
I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one food is "best" for every dog. It all depends on that dog's circumstances. What may be good for one, may be detrimental to another. Feed the best possible ingredients that are best digested by your dog and you have found a winner!
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 10:14am PST 
My dogs do well on Horizon Legacy. We really like that food. We have also fed Horizon Pulsar. We have also fed Fromm. Last week we went to get more dog food and they were out of Horizon Legacy and Pulsar. We ended up buying Fromm Duck & Sweet Potato. The dogs like that too and do well on it.

We tried Taste of the Wild awhile back and the dogs did ok on it but just ok. Actually, they have never really done all that well on ANY food made by Diamond. There must be something with their ingredients or processing that just doesn't work well for some of my dogs. We stopped using it shortly before that last big Diamond recall fiasco. I will never use it again.

The guys at the pet food store where I buy food recommend Horizon and Fromm as their first and second choices. They both are family owned companies that manufacture their own foods and use good quality ingredients.

Diamond uses ingredients from where ever they can get them the easiest and cheapest, period. Yes, Diamond DOES use ingredients sourced from China! I don't trust Diamond any more. The guys at the pet food store had been trying to get me to stop feeding Diamond (TOTW), even though they sell it they don't recommend it. They only sell it because people want it.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 10:40am PST 
1. Pedigree
2. Ol Roy
3. Kibbles & Bits
4. Purina Dog Chow
5. Iams

Yup, you might find 5 worse foods but it would be a struggle. TOTW is head shoulders and body above the 5 listed. It has no grain, no byproducts,no unnamed fat. The listed kibbles are mostly corn and by products, I don't know if it is even good enough to use in the garden for plant fertilizer.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 6:33pm PST 
The breeder had been feeding her ProPlan Chicken and Rice Shredded Formula. She sent me home with some food, so I'll be mixing that with ToTW. For now, I'm gonna see how she does on ToTW.

Thanks for all the help.
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 3:51pm PST 
Pro plan is not that great a food. Many breeders feed it because they can get all kind of free stuff from the company to get the people they sell dogs to eat it. TOTW is good food, my dogs did not really care for it. I feed the Nutro Ultra to my show dogs and I like the way their coat looks and they eat it all up every morning and nite.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 6:06pm PST 
I've been feeding TOTW for sometime now, for a quality grain-free food it's the best bang for the buck...and comes in several different flavors.
I have several owners from my local dog park feeding it too, and they're all doing excellent on it.
I just purchased a 'new flavor' > "Wild Boar" and my Bella LOVES it! happy dancesnoopy
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:06pm PST 
It's great for the price, I feed it to my cat since grain-free food for cats tends to be an arm and a leg. I feed Chocolate EVO though.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3