GO!

Need food suggestions PLEASE!!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:06pm PST 
I need food suggestions for my boy. Here is what I am looking for:

-No chicken or chicken meal. Thor doesn't do well on chicken based dog foods.
-No canola oil
-No grains or low grains (NO CORN!)
-Under 45 for a 30 lb or larger bag

I am wondering what my options are for feeding. He has been on nutrisource grain-free but it is a bit out of our price range at the moment.

Thanks!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 6:38pm PST 
Price is going to kill you there.

The cheapest I can think of is Nature's Domain at Costco, but it has canola oil.

Next closest would probably be Taste of the Wild, also with canola.

If you're willing to give up the grain-free, AvoDerm makes a lamb/rice line without chicken or canola oil that's usually under $45.
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 7:59pm PST 
Hmmm ok. I can probably do 50 a month. I hate being a college student :/
[notify]

Ginger

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 10:12am PST 
You might try looking at Horizon Legacy Fish Formula. It is grain free and doesn't contain any chicken. It is a very good food made by a small Canadian company that manufactures their own foods using locally sourced ingredients. If you can't find a retailer in your area, you can check online. I think petflow.com sells it. Others may too. Where I buy my food, it runs $21.99 for an 8.8 lb bag.

Edited by author Fri Nov 16, '12 10:13am PST

[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 1:34pm PST 
I know you wanted to avoid grains...but would you consider one that uses brown rice and rolled oats instead of corn or white rice?

http://www.nutro.com/natural-dog-food/natural-choice-dog-fo od/dry/sensitive-skin-and-stomach-venison-rice.aspx

Cindy put me on this formula when we learned I was allergic to Lamb...it does not have canola oil. I thought it was yummy myself and my coat did really well on it and my tummy too...

It might be near the top of your price range, but you can get coupons on the nutro website at www.nutro.com "my nutro rewards." Our local Petco's frequently have the Natural Choice on sale too...so if you can catch a sale and use the coupon you can really save $$$.
[notify]
Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 8:40pm PST 
you can try nutri-source, depends where you buy it, it's around $45-47 for a large bag (feed stores tend to have lower prices), Indy is eating the lamb formula now and seems to be doing well on it. It does have chicken fat in it, which normally doesn't cause issues for dogs with chicken allergies.

Lamb meal, peas, salmon meal (a source of fish oil), pea starch, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), pea flour, natural flavors, tomato pomace, sunflower oil, dried egg product, potassium chloride, brewers yeast, salt, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, selenium yeast), yeast culture (saccharomyces cerevisiae, enterococcus faecium, lactobacillus acidophilus, aspergillus niger, bacillus subtillis), choline chloride, taurine, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), glucosamine hydrochloride, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), chondroitin sulfate, yucca schidigera extract, calcium iodate, rosemary extract.

Another option is Merrick grain free duck, but around here, it costs $55 for 25 lb bag, you can buy a bag on petflow.com for $53 plus $10 off to first time customers and free shipping.
Deboned Duck, Turkey Meal, Salmon Meal (source of Omega 3 fatty acids), Sweet Potato, Peas, Lamb Meal, Potato, Duck Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Pea Protein, Natural Flavor, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Minerals (Salt, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Rosemary Extract.
[notify]
Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 8:42pm PST 
forgot to add, petbest.com has a sale on nutrisource right now, $40 for a large bag if you sign up for auto ship (regular price is $45) plus free shipping on order over $49

http://petbest.com/products/Grain-Free-Lamb-Meal-Formula-Dry- Dog-Food/NutriSource-GFLMFDDF
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 12:47pm PST 
Nutrisource is what he has been eating. I will probably keep him on that.
[notify]
Tuna

"Small fish with- tons of fight"

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:11pm PST 
Truthfully there are so many new fad diets out there it's hard to know which to trust for your dog, best bet is to call your vet tell them the situation and they should have some good tips on which foods to buy. You can even ask the ban field people in Petsmart( ask the ban field techs or dr NOT the store employees!!smile when in doubt though i always go Hills. By suggestion of every vet I know. Good luck
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:25pm PST 
I am in school to be a vet tech. The only reason that vets say to feed hills is because they are PAID to push the food, not because it is good for the dog.

Hills is corn and by-products. It is one of the lower quality foods on the market.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2