GO!

Earthborn opinions?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Syddalee

Some things are- just meant to- be.

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 12:10pm PST 
Anyone feed Earthborn? Any opinions on the food or brand?

Syddalee has done great on Holistic Select with her allergies but the website I normally order from stopped the free shipping on the larger bags and I like to buy the larger since it last for both dogs about 3 weeks and its hard to find locally. The one store I drive 30 minutes to has said they will stop carrying soon too and no longer always has bags of it in-stock. The other local store that carries it is know for selling puppy-mill puppies so I don't support them at all...Searching the website I normally order from I came across Earthborn and it seems good and like their UPC tree program. Also like that it's a North America brand. The only draw back for me is the protein level. Syddalee normally does better in the lower proteins but I fingered I would feed her a little less then suggested to balance that.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 12:28pm PST 
I have been using the Holistic Great Pairie Feast for about 18 months, mostly with my toy breeds but also a couple of labs.
I am really happy with the product, but more importantly, my dogs absolutely LOVE it. They were getting TOTW or BB, and if I give them that now they just nibble at it and look for their Earthborn!
They did all gain a bit of weight coming off TOTW, so I had to adjust feeding amounts but that was no big deal.
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:00pm PST 
When you say that Syddalee does better on lower proteins, what do you mean? I'm wondering if Joey would do better on a lower protein food. Thanks.

Edited by author Fri Nov 16, '12 7:00pm PST

[notify]

Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 8:20pm PST 
it's not bad, but not great either, I don't like how they use peas to boost protein levels and the primitive line has a very high ash content which means they use lower quality meat meal that has a lot of bone.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 11:51am PST 
My guys have done well on it, I have been rotating with TOTW and Nature's Domain (money is tight and we've added a dog). I definitely recommend!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 11:57am PST 
Uno, the peas are used for fiber, not to boost the protein levels, however most varieties DO use whole eggs to up the protein levels so if you have a poultry allergy it is something to think about. My one poultry sensitive dog does NOT do well with it so we use TOTW for her.

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 11:59am PST

[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 7:46pm PST 
I switched to Earthborn when TOTW was recalled and the dogs are doing very well on it, and had no problems transitioning. I gave them the wet food duck formula as their Christmas dinner and they went bonkers for it. I just wish they had as many grain inclusive options as they do for grain free. If you register your email, they'll send you a $3 coupon.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 4:18pm PST 
I have fed it to Bama before and he seemed to do well on it. I like the primitive naturals one.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 4:37pm PST 
For the price, its a decent food, similar to taste of the wild. 2 things I dislike about it is that they use peas to boost protein levels and their primitive food is very high in ash which indicates that they use low quality meat meals and can also cause health issues.
[notify]