GO!

dog food score chart?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:47pm PST 
So I was wondering if anyone else goes by the dog food score chart online? You score the food out of 100 and get extra bonuses if the food has certain ingredients like fruit etc...and above 100 is great and then you get below and then wayyy below and find purina and pedigree and whatnot....anyone else seen this?
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:49pm PST 
Yes I have seen that chart...

http://www.dogfoodcomparison.org/dog-food-scores.html

now, here's an interesting "study," if you have time. Take the foods that scored 93 and above...so "A" amd "B" if you will...and go compare prices at your local store. It may be eye opening!

Edited by author Sat Nov 10, '12 7:53pm PST

[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:55pm PST 
eye opening how, didn't quite understand what you meant
[notify]

Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 11:23am PST 
Oh sorry...I always figured that the price quality grades would follow the price tags, so to speak...in other words, the lower the price the farther down the quality grading too...but that wasn't the case. Nutro Max, for example had a score of 93, and the brand that scored 94 was a lot more expensive in our local store ( we lived in Kapolei, Hawaii at that time)...like the Max was about $30.00 and bag and the other was over $50.00.

WOW...
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 1:03pm PST 
oh gotcha! Yea I understand fully what you mean there, the food I found is affordable and scored 100plus, I was shocked because I was worried that it isn't a crazy expensive brand it was going to score poorly but it didn't....It got a lot of extra points also for having fruits and being baked and what not
[notify]
Mocha Chino

I need to go- outside! I need- to go in!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 2:32pm PST 
The food I feed my pups got a score of 122! I was surprised, because I heard their food was good for them, but not the best!partydog
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 5:50pm PST 
Awesome!!! i know i have to say i was a little shocked when mine was in the pluses as well.....Do you mind me asking what brand of food? No need to say if you dont want to smile
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 6:23pm PST 
I've often wondered a brand that is somewhat nutritionally correct but not like $40 for a five pound bag. There's quality and there's ridiculously overpriced...suggestions???
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 8:16pm PST 
I think if you use that chart, and then go check, like even with Petco.com or other online pet suppliers, you'll find a very good food without breaking the bank. I'll paw mail you Ophelia.
[notify]
Mocha Chino

I need to go- outside! I need- to go in!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 3:07pm PST 
I believe it is Nature's Recipe, but I could have gotten it mixed up a little, we just finished the bag today.shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2