GO!

Commercially available low purine dog food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Lucky

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 2:40pm PST 
I thought about the possibility of a liver shunt but the results of his blood work don't really indicate one based on what I've read. I know that more sophisticated testing is required for a definite diagnosis but my vet doesn't offer these and I'm sure they're probably pretty pricey.

I bought a can of the u/d prescription diet to try out to see if my picky dog would like it. One thing that I was surprised to see is that it has pork liver and from what I've read organ meats have one of the highest purines levels. Should I be worried about feeding him this?

I'm going to look into vegetarian dog foods as another alternative, too, thanks.

Edited by author Tue Oct 16, '12 2:49pm PST

[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 11:23am PST 
Because foods have different levels of Purine, and the amount of that particular ingredient in a recipe is not known, this is why finding a food can be tricky. U/D is formulated specifically for this issue.
Here is some more info http://www.marvistavet.com/html/uric_acid_stones_in_dalmatians.html
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 1:51pm PST 
Organ meats do have the most purine but it has got to be in very small amounts for flavoring. The diet is trying to reduce the amount of purines, it cannot completely remove them from the diet.

I would feel more comfortable feeding a prescription food than a commercial food as I wouldn't know the amount of each ingredient used but I would rather make my own low purine diet than use a prescription diet.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2