GO!

Alternative to Hills W/D??

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 9:50am PST 
Does anyone have an suggestions for a possible alternative to Hills W/D? Scruffy was doing really well on it for a while but now not so much. I need a low phosphorus high fiber diet with out chicken. Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------------

UPDATE: The vet said what I was describing sounded like EPI, but it would be unlikely for him to have EPI and kidney issues but given his family history he could have it. So for now we are treating him like he has it. We began adding digestive enzymes to the food, and over a period of a couple weeks we were able to increase the food to 1 1/2 cups of food a day. Scruffy is doing really well now. happy dance

Edited by author Thu Dec 13, '12 12:16pm PST

[notify]
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 10:40am PST 
Just about any other food would be so much better than a corn based diet. I am not sure why your pup is on the w/d formula, but if you could elaborate I am sure that some of the more diet knowledgeable members could give you the best possible answers. Best of luck!
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 10:47am PST 
He has chronic diarrhea because he has Kidney Disease.
[notify]

Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 9:50pm PST 
Do you know if you have to stay under certain values when it comes to protein/fat/phosphorus?

I was recently watching a cat with end stage kidney disease, so I did some research and most things that I found point to the fact that it's not the protein thats the problem, but feeding low quality, processed protein. Best thing you can do is to get off dry food completely and look for grain free, meat based diet, whether it be canned, dehydrated like honest kitchen/sojos, homemade or raw.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 8:59am PST 
Well, I don't know if you want to but when I was little our schnauz had kidney and bladder problems and when she quit tolerating that canned prescription diet, they put her on Iams and she went on to live another 8 years with no more issues.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 10:45am PST 
He does best on low protein low fat diets. Raw, canned, and dehydrated make him sick. He was eating Freshpet mixed with the RX diet but it starting making him sick so we cut Freshpet out.
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 11:01am PST 
W/d works for diarrhea because it is higher fiber. I would personally get a better quality food and add plain natural pumpkin to the food. They even make a product called 'firm up' that is powdered pumpkin that would work well if you dont like it 'wet'. And yes, with kidney disease you do need to watch protein/phosphorous, but it is much much better to have highly digestable protein than one like say corn, or 'saw dust' ( yes hills contains powdered cellulose for the fiber source).

Edited by author Thu Sep 20, '12 11:02am PST

[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 11:28am PST 
Nothing added to other foods helps firm up his stool, which is why I need a high fiber diet.

Edited by author Thu Sep 20, '12 11:41am PST

[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 4:37pm PST 
Would home cooking be a possibility? You could control the amount of fat and fiber plus the protein source. Dogster Sassy was fed home cooked for her kidney disease.

I'm drawing a blank on foods that high in fiber.
Would a different brand of Rx food work?
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 10:58pm PST 
here are some low fat foods approved by DFA
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/suggested-low-fat- dog-food/
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3