GO!

Questions about Ingredients

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 2:55pm PST 
Dehydrated Lamb, Pearl Millet, Lamb Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Yeast Culture, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Calcium Proteinate, Sun-Cured Kelp, FOS, Sodium Chloride, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, Parsley, Fenugreek, Peppermint, Taurine, Selenium, Whole Clove Garlic, Vitamin E, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin C, Papaya, Rose Hips, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin D3, Biotin, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Vitamin B-12, Potassium Proteinate, Folic Acid.

In the above, I was wondering what the purpose of "yeast culture" was? Does anybody know? Also, if I suspect Joey is allergic to mold, is this going to be a problem for him? I like the ingredients of this food (Canine Caviar) but am a little hesitant to feed it because of the yeast culture, plus possibly the millet and alfalfa, as I like to keep grains to a minimum.

Also, the food claims to have a good ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6, by my calculations. That's a plus for me, as Joey has allergies (though we're not sure what - inhalant, food, or other)and I like the idea of a good amount of O-3. Is the kelp providing the O-3, I assume?

Are the other things like FOS, fenugreek, rose hips, and other things just thrown in to attract people who are into holistic and healthy a lot more than I am, or are they serving a useful purpose?

I am hoping to get something that is not going to be a problem for an allergic dog, and one who might have a bit of a sensitive stomach. I do not know what, if anything, he is allergic to. I would, however, like to stay away from potatoes of any kind.

Comments?

Edited by author Sun Sep 16, '12 2:57pm PST

[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 8:27pm PST 
it depends, I think yeast culture is not the same as brewers yeast and other pet food companies break it up into separate strains, for example horizon legacy:

DRIED ASPERGILLUS NIGER FERMENTATION EXTRACT, DRIED ASPERGILLUS ORYZAE FERMENTATION EXTRACT, DRIED TRICHODERMA LONGIBRACHIATUM FERMENTATION EXTRACT, DRIED RHIZOPUS ORYZAE FERMENTATION EXTRACT, DRIED ENTEROCOCCUS FAECIUM FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED LACTOBACILLUS CASEI FERMENTATION PRODUCT

Uno has a yeast allergy and he eats it with no issues. With that said, I think some of those are a type of mold, so I would try a small bag first to make sure there's no reaction.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 8:29pm PST 
and here's something else I found on their site explaining it better

http://blog.caninecaviar.com/blog/bid/102287/Canine-Caviar s-New-Fermentation-Products-in-their-Holistic-Dog-Food
[notify]

joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 10:36am PST 
Thanks, uno. I didn't see the Canine Caviar blogs; will have to take a look at them. I did read the blog for the link you posted, and (I guess) that sounds plausible and not just food company BS! I'm going to order a small bag of Canine Caviar, as several people have had good results with that, and see if it makes a difference.

Actually, I mentioned "yeast culture" in my post. However, when I went on Canine Caviar's web site a day or two ago, I notice that they break out the probiotics/yeast cultures, similar to Horizon. What I copied from originally was, I think, what one of the pet food companies had listed as the ingredients. There is a blog that explains that CC was required to previously use "yeast cultures" but now is allowed to call them "fermentation products." So I guess that explains the discrepancy between what used to be on the bags (and may still be - don't know) versus what's not on their web site.

I'm sure hoping Joey tolerates CC, as probiotics have always been "iffy" for him - unless I just didn't feed them long enough to know if they would be tolerated.

Edited by author Wed Sep 19, '12 10:45am PST

[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 11:13pm PST 
My human, Cindy, has food allergies...and she reacts to both yeast and mold...however, without tests it is hard to know for sure.
[notify]