GO!

Homemade topper for tummy issues?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 7:27am PST 
It's sad, but I sometimes wonder if dogs didn't do better long ago when many of them were being fed table scraps instead of kibble. There is just so much cancer being diagnosed now, and while much of that may be due to better diagnostics and increased awareness of health issues, I sometimes wonder if all this processed food is taking its toll.

In any case, yes, any fruits and veggies (if you need/use them at all) should be ground up well. Dogs can't digest starch, so those foods need to be either cooked quite well or processed to break down the starchiness of them.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 10:05pm PST 
ginger for helping upset tummies and cancer

fennel for bad breath, upset tummy and flatulence

these two are the best herb/vegies that I use for us humans and the dogs. For the dogs I boil the fennel in low sodium chicken stock until soft and blend it into a baby food paste to mix into foods.

Ginger can be made into a tea or ground into a paste and similarly mixed in. We tend to avoid mints and peppermints, as they cause tummy problems with humans suffering reflux so I imagine they would do the same in dogs.

Lots of websites recommend goldenseal too, but I don't have experience with it.

Edited by author Sun Sep 16, '12 10:09pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 8:19am PST 
Thanks for those links Taggert! I know I can get ginger root in town but I don't know about Fennel. I'll start adding ginger root to her meals right away and see if that helps.

Do you use raw or cooked ginger when making it into a paste?

Edited by author Tue Sep 18, '12 8:20am PST

[notify]

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 12:27am PST 
cooked. Ginger has that fiberous stuff in it that is difficult to digest raw. Fennel is a pretty common item in the veggie section of the grocery store. At least, its always in the one closest to me.

Edited by author Wed Sep 19, '12 12:44am PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2