GO!

For those who use antlers for chews...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 7:34am PST 
I'm curious about trying these out...can you share favorite brands or sources of them? So far, the only store where Cindy has seen them is a local PetCo unleashed and there is only one brand available, so not much with which to compare...

Also...did anyone find that your dog was slow in accepting them?
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 7:42am PST 
P.S. We are fine with mail ordering them too.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 8:10am PST 
I don't know what brand mine are..that's how long they've lasted! I first tried the regular, whole antlers, but the boys didn't really like them. They ended up just being a nuisance in the yard. So I gave them to friends. I tried the ones that are split lengthwise..what a difference! Maybe having the marrow exposed peaked the senses. They love them. They'll gnaw on them for awhile, then leave them for days. But I still hear the unmistakable thunk sound that tells me someone is chewing their antler on the laminate floor.laugh out loud
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 9:25am PST 
Go on Ebay. I have bought my antlers from the same vendor for over a year now, have excellent service every time, and they are MUCH cheaper than the ones you'll find in stores. I pay $26 for 3 large elk antlers (1.5-2 inches in diameter, 8 inches in length).
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 9:54am PST 
I talked to an antler salesman at our last flyball tournament. Turns out antlers are graded A, B and C. A just came off the deer/elk/moose/whatever that year. B are last years, and C are 2+ years old. The antlers you see in Petco and other chain stores are typically C grade. They're dried out, cracked up and typically not that interesting to dogs anymore. Most antlers for sale are B grade (that's what I have apparently been buying anyway).

My dogs all prefer elk antlers. Apparently the reason for this is the low bonemeditatearrow ratio. Whereas deer antlers are heavily lined with bone with only a little marrow in the middle... Much less interesting to many dogs. Same reason many dogs prefer split antlers - the marrow is right there. On the other hand, if your dog is a heavy, heavy chewer he may plow through split antlers faster than you'd like.

I've always bought antlers from the vendors at flyball tournaments. Some independent pet stores get them too, but you still have that variation in brands and quality. One store here carries the "Antlerz" brand which are C grade and I haven't liked any of the ones I've seen (also interesting that the same company makes Churpee chews, which my dogs sat down and ate like a cracker even though they're supposed to last longer than a bully stick!).
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 10:30am PST 
That's interesting, Ember. Kody would gnaw on his as a baby, but doesn't care about it anymore.
[notify]
Bandit

I luvs slippers

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 4:20pm PST 
Thanks for sharing. Any suggestions on where to get the better antlers?

Again, Thanks. Good information to keep in mind.
[notify]
Bandit

I luvs slippers

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 4:21pm PST 
Thanks for sharing. Any suggestions on where to get the better antlers?

Again, Thanks. Good information to keep in mind.
[notify]
Mavis

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 6:55pm PST 
Just a word of caution with products like this. I have had about 17 years of experience in dental research in dogs and products which are very hard can cause significant damage to a dog's teeth so please be careful when feeding these to your dogs.
[notify]
Monnie

Spreading Smiles- As A Tribute For- Lexi

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 7:13pm PST 
Great Advice from all of you and I would like to add my dogs prefer the Elk Antlers grade A however I have given then the grade B and they are not nearly as interested. My daughters Malinois cracked a tooth from chewing his and it cost almost 2 thousand dollars for the dental work due to the jaw being bruised. He now can not have any thing to play with that you can't push your finger into to make a dent, no fuzzy toys that he can rip or pull so he gets his treats in a busy ball and different kongs and doggie puzzles to keep him mentally stimulated. It wasn't just because of antlers as it can happen with a bone as well so please be careful.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2