GO!

Help with constant hunger!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Bandit

I luvs slippers

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 11:34am PST 
Can you substitute some of her kibble with canned pup food or Fresh Pet? When my Dobie was always, always, always hungry, even though she was on a higher quality, higher calorie kibble, I decided to give FP a try for a kibble topper. Eventually I ended up replacing half her meal with FP and she was finally satisfied.

I didn't stay with the FP for a very long time though because it got to be very expensive. I did find that mixing kibble and canned made her more satisfied than kibble alone.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 1:03pm PST 
Bandit makes a good point. I've read (sorry, can't remember where) that sometimes a hunger craving is partially a craving for water. Wet food has more moisture, so adding a bit to the dry food might do the trick. I'd start keeping track of the amount of water the OP's dog is drinking to see if the pup's drinking enough daily. Some dogs don't naturally drink as much as they should.
[notify]
Brittany

I always get the- last bark.

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 2:13pm PST 
For Rain I would say that it is because she is growing, but when Brittany was about 5 and we had switched her to grain free food she became a chow hound too. Problem was that she was overweight, but then at the same time if I attempted to feed her less, she couldn't think about anything but food. Luckily when we switched to raw it seemed to fill her up more (as well as making her more trim).
[notify]

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 2:48pm PST 
Wow, I've NEVER had a lab puppy that wasn't starving to death every waking moment, or at least that THOUGHT he was starving to death. That is just the nature of some breeds, IMO.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 10:25am PST 
It is not normal to have a half cup increase in food cause diarrhea. The people who say it does are probably using small feeding amounts to mask a chronic infection (we've dealt with several with Kody- immature immune systems + exposure to a lot of germs through dog parks, etc is a bad combination). Constant hunger was a symptom that got better when we got our diagnoses and the right antibiotics. Combined with the straining and constant soft poop that gets better with a low-fiber food, I think you have an intestinal infection going on. I'd get a send-out diarrhea panel to be safe. You'll probably need to contact an internist for that, or call around to different vets and find one who does it.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2