GO!

I always thought Blue foods were bad...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Hemingway

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 10:11pm PST 
...like Purina, Hills, etc. However, I've been reading a lot of posts on here lately and it seems to be recommended quite a bit. How does it compare to Acana (what Hemingway is on, but not working so well), Fromm, Origins, etc...
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 5:21am PST 
Unfortunately I do not have Acana in my area,so I really can't compare the two for you,but I use Blue Bullalo Wilderness regularly and it is based on prey model raw but in kibble form. The first and second ingredients are meat of whatever flavor,followed by meat-by-products,fruits,veggies,and vitamins.
It also contains Omega3's and joint support in the formula I get,my only issue is the limited flavors at this point but while talking to what I thought was a store employee at Petco, I found out that there are plans to add 5 additional flavors to the Blue line,not all of them will be in the wilderness or Freedom grain free lines but even one or two would be great.
currently the Wilderness only has Duck and Fish Flavors,and Freedom is chicken. Turns out the "store employee" was a Blue product rep.
[notify]
Hemingway

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 9:11am PST 
Thanks for your input! Dog food is hard and scary... especially when your dog is sensitive and allergic to so many things. Thanks again!
[notify]

Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 9:47am PST 
Never heard of Blue (as in Blue Buffalo) foods being bad. Certainly not on par with Purina and the like.

We like the Blue Wilderness variety (grain-free) -- can't say much for the regular stuff, as we don't touch that of any brand -- but it was well-liked here.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 9:47am PST 
You're welcome. I wish I could have been of more help. I know all too well about allergies. My first experience with Akitas was a GSD/Akita mix and I found out all about allergies,Akitas tend to have many,random,and moderate to severe that are often difficult to track down. Mattie my mix,was most severely allergic to fleas but there seemed to be not much else on the planet that didn't affect her as well. Unfortunately,nearly 17 years ago,there was not nearly the choices available now in testing,treatments,and choices of food. The best we could do was Science Diet. Advantage,antihistamines,antibiotics,and semi-annual steriod injections was the best we could do then but she managed to have a good life and 9 and a half years with us. Mika has a mild grain allergy,some hay fever and an allergy to catgut,the most common suture material used,we found that one when 48 hours after being spayed and still not behaving normally,in spite of numerous calls to the vet with a tech refusing to let me actually speak to the vet myself,Mika removed several of her sutures,we rushed her back to the vet 30 miles away only to hear the verdict that she would have to undergo a second surgery to remove and replace all of her internal and external sutures.
So ,yes I do understand how scary both foods and allergies can be. It is still quite frustrating even with all of the choices that there are out there because unless you try them,you just never know and in the meantime you just know that your pet is miserable and feel helpless to stop it and very confused by the options. I can't tell you that Blue will be the right choice for you,no one can. I don't think it is wise to try to recommend specifics either because what works well for one dog can be awful for another,I only know that since we switched to grain free both of my pups are doing much better and have fewer issues in general. We had given my daughter some for her Maltese simply because she was having some difficulties and wanted to stretch the food he regularly ate and he improved as well,he stopped getting tear stains,his skin and coat improved and he just seemed happier,I will not say it was specifically because of Blue but grain free did a world of good and the wilderness line compares in quality to Wellness' grain free at about $15 per bag less.Good Luck andwishes on finding the best choice for you and your pup.
[notify]
Hemingway

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 10:20am PST 
Well, it is looking like no matter what the brand, definitely go grain free. Thanks again!
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 7:40pm PST 
I used to feed Blue Buffalo wilderness & Life protection both of which received a 5 star and 4 star ratings on Dogfoodadvisor.com. If your Dog has allergies and a sensitive stomach then I think it might be best to go with their Wilderness line as it is grain free.
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 8:56pm PST 
Blue Wilderness and Blue Freedom are both great grain free foods. The original Blue, Blue limited ingredient, and their longevity lines are also great if you don't want to go grain free. They aren't as good as Orijen or some of the other super premium brands but they are on par with Wellness and the like. Definitely leaps and bounds better than Purina and SD.
[notify]