GO!

Turning pink on Acana Lamb and Apple

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Hemingway

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 4:18pm PST 
Hi! Hemingway is an English Golden. I started him on Acana Lamb and Oatmeal about 4 months ago. It has been great for his sensitive stomach, but ever since I have noticed his coat has lost shine and he has a pink/rust color on his eyes, feet, under his mouth... anywhere drool hits. He just doesn't look as good as he did before. He gets Eagle Holistic probiotics, too. Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? Food suggestions (other than raw)? Thanks!
[notify]
Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 5:29pm PST 
Sounds like a yeast infection to me. Probiotics help and so does zymox shampoo and conditioner. I would ask your vet but it sounds like yeast. Antibiotics make the yeast worse.

Edited by author Thu Aug 9, '12 5:30pm PST

[notify]
Hemingway

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 9:15pm PST 
Thanks! Yeah, he has had the red around the eyes before (a couple of years ago) and the vet gave him antibiotics. I adore my vet, but would love a more holistic one! Maybe I can get a stronger probiotic than the Holistic select. You don't think it could be the Acana Lamb and Apple?
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 8:29am PST 
Have you tried something similar but completely grain-free? My daughter has a little Maltese and he always had red stains mostly on his face but when we gave her some Blue Buffalo Wilderness to try for him,the red/rusty stains went away and so far have not returned.Before that the only way she could get rid of the stains was by using Angel Eyes which is a low dose antibiotic.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 9:10am PST 
I dunno. Usually redness around the paws/lips/eyes is a big sign to me that it's food allergies.
What was he on before Acana?
Grainfree is definitely the way to go, too. cheer
[notify]
Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 12:03pm PST 
I agree it could be from the food but the red stuff is usually yeast caused by many different things. I second (or third bol) the grain free option but now you have yeast to deal with too.

Edited by author Fri Aug 10, '12 12:04pm PST

[notify]
Hemingway

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 9:44pm PST 
I will definitely try a grain-free. Before Acana Lamb and Apple he was on Fromm Pork and Applesauce (which is tummy never adjusted to) and before that he was on Eagle Holistic Select Large Breed. He did well on the Eagle for the first 2.5 or so years (he's 4 now), but then couldn't tolerate it. Don't know if they made changes to the formula, or what. Thanks for the replies!
[notify]