GO!

My Malinois looks like a Greyhound aka Share your Satin Ball Recipes

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 7:50am PST 
It might just be how is. Before we got Zoe spayed at 5 she was super Skinny. She really wasnt interested in food either but she ate. I gave her canned food, puppy food and all kinds of things to put weight on her. She was super active as a younger dog. She would run circles around all of us. Now she that is older and less active, she is a little more filled out. She filled out quite a bit when she was spayed.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 8:17am PST 
Zeph, I'd be trying to get his weight up a bit, too. I agree it sounds borderline (the way you describe feeling/seeing his vertebrae) to be able to absorb any illness without him going downhill too fast. Especially if he should ever get diarrhea. That's why I'd try to stabilize his weight a bit more before a full switch to raw. I'd try switching to a puppy formula for awhile and supplement with satin balls. It sounds like you're able to feed a lot of small meals daily as he's with you quite a bit, that really seems to help high-metabolism dogs.

Our recipe for feeding the performance greys at racing weight always included high-quality molasses, so their bodies had something to use for the fast burn, the bulk was raw meat, then eggs, spinach and some good carbs. Very similar to most satin ball recipes. It's a tried and true method. Hope Mo feels better soon!
[notify]
Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 11:53am PST 
have you tried something high protein like natures variety instinct or EVO?
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 7:56pm PST 
This might be completely out to lunch, but is he getting enough sleep?
You mentioned that he is on the go all day and I remember reading that dogs needs a surprisingly large amount of sleep every day...17 hours I believe.

Apparently in humans, lack of sleep can interfere with metabolic rates, hormone levels and how we can process and store carbs.

Also, any chance this could be related to thyroid issues? One of my cats has just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and while he can maintain his weight, he can't gain no matter how much food he shovels in (we will be starting treatment very soon).

Edited by author Wed Aug 15, '12 7:58pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2