GO!

My Malinois looks like a Greyhound aka Share your Satin Ball Recipes

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 4:07pm PST 
So Mo is skinny, and by skinny I mean he looks like he hasn't had a meal in years. His appetite is not the problem, since he'll eat anything he just burns it off like water.

I honestly never thought I'd say this but please help me fatten my dog.

He's been on two good quality kibbles (TOTW and Eagle Pack when I couldn't budget in a bag of food every 2 weeks) and he is fed 3x a day somewhere between six and eight cups throughout the day depending on if I have pumpkin on hand or not. (More than six without pumpkin = blowout.)

He gets treats. He gets extras. He'll get meal toppers if I have the time.

I've been told about Satin Balls and I think we're going to try those this week in addition to his regular kibble. I've seen a few recipes and I'm going to keep some at work so he can get them there instead of regular treats but what recipe have you used that you liked best?
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 6:36pm PST 
Have you considered mixing puppy food into his diet?
[notify]
Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 3:15pm PST 
Here is what we used for my dog riley. I froze them and gave them to my dog a few times a day. In no time he gained the weight he needed. Hope this helps. I got this recipe from a breeder friend. It work for us smile

1 pound cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
Pinch of salt
[notify]

Ikan

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 4:17pm PST 
How old is your dog? The reason I ask is because I had a saluki once that was so thin I had people stop me when i was walking him and say they were going to turn me in for abuse. He was just slow in getting mature. Then he turned about 2 1/2, he filled out and was the biggest one I had ever had. It could be that he is just burning the food you give him up faster then he takes it in. The idea of the [puppy food is good or a high energy food could also be used. Good luck.
[notify]
Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 5:34pm PST 
Wanted to say nutro naturals make a high energy canned that i currently give riley to keep his weight stable, its called high energy and it has 486 calories per can. They have a dry food as well. I would do both the canned and satin balls until weight was stable. smile
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 4:48pm PST 
Mo just turned 2 and he's intact so I know he's burning more calories.

I had been considering puppy food but I already have to buy two different foods (Since Zeph is princess sensitive) and adding another is a little hard to budget when he is just an endless pit.

Thanks for the nutro suggestion. I'm passing by the store on the way so I think I'll grab a few cans and see what we can do.
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 6:39pm PST 
Our Zelda is just a skinny girl. We tried to put weight on her for over a year and then gave up. She is what our vet defines as a "perfect" weight, very slender and she does have muscle mass. I can see her last few ribs and feel all her ribs and pelvic bones easily.

She eats raw along with our other dog, and at one point I was feeding her almost double her daily amount, and she still wouldn't fatten up. I guess some dogs just have that crazy metabolism.

Edited by author Fri Aug 10, '12 6:39pm PST

[notify]
Monnie

Spreading Smiles- As A Tribute For- Lexi

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 8:46pm PST 
My daughter has a Malinois and they typically are a thin breed. I looked at Mo's page and he looks fine to me. They are very active because of their high prey drive which also keeps them on the thin side. Hers is a neutered male and he eats 3 cups of Wellness Core dailey plus all his treats and most folks think he's skinny
[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 9:48pm PST 
Here's a site for for info on the Natural Choice High Energy...and there's a coupons/rewards tab too where you might be able to print out a coupon

http://www.nutro.com/natural-dog-food/natural-choice-dog-f ood/food-high-energy.aspx
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 7:33am PST 
Those photos are from a few months ago when I got him and he was about 62lbs. He's 52lbs now. I do more with him than his breeder did and he's busy pretty much all day so he burns a lot more calories. I tend to keep all my dogs lean and can feel ribs without pressing down on all of them but this is beyond "He's a Malinois" skinny. I'm not comfortable in being able to count his vertebrae through his coat when he's just standing around, and he is underweight by 5lbs currently and even that places him into borderline territory. Given all the stuff we do extra-weight isn't what I'm going for but getting him to a healthy weight is critical mission #1.

Thanks for the nutro info again. He's actually been sick this week (A different strain of Bordatella or flu that his vax doesn't cover, so awesome) so I've been mainlining nutri-cal to him on top of his regular food since I don't want to shock his system but I have the wet food now to give him when I think his system can handle it. If that doesn't work we'll flip to puppy and I'm going to look more seriously into raw.

Edited by author Wed Aug 15, '12 7:35am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2