GO!

Signs of Allergies to Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 3:10pm PST 
"Also it is terribly uncommon for a dog to develop allergies to a food they gave been exposed to for an extended period of time."
Actually, the opposite is true... dogs NORMALLY develop allergies to the food they have eaten the longest since it takes time for an allergy to develop. This is why lamb and rice used to be the allergy diet, but now it no longer works since far too many commercial diets are lamb and rice so the dog likely has already developed allergins to either lamb or rice. The same is now happening with chicken and fish diets.
Also, if your dog has a problem with a protein you need to read the entire ingredients list. MANY dog foods, TOTW is one, routinely use chicken fat, or a mixture of different animal fats in their other protein lines, even in the fish ones, so if you are buying fish because your dog is allergic to chicken you may well still be giving the dog chicken in the form of chicken fat.
[notify]
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 5:12pm PST 
"Also, if your dog has a problem with a protein you need to read the entire ingredients list. MANY dog foods, TOTW is one, routinely use chicken fat, or a mixture of different animal fats in their other protein lines, even in the fish ones, so if you are buying fish because your dog is allergic to chicken you may well still be giving the dog chicken in the form of chicken fat."

---

@Toto -- I feed Olive TOTW Fish and Lamb specifically because they *DO NOT* contain chicken or chicken fat/product in these formulas. Am I misinformed????

Here's the ingredients in the Pacific Stream (Fish) Variety:

Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

And Lamb (Sierra Mountain):

Lamb, lamb broth, vegetable broth, lamb liver, dried egg, peas, natural flavor, modified potato starch, sweet potatoes, potatoes, calcium carbonate, roasted lamb, guar gum, potassium chloride, sodium tripolyphosphate, salt, dried chicory root, tomatoes, canola oil, blueberries, raspberries, choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, iron proteinate (a source of chelated iron), zinc proteinate (a source of chelated zinc), vitamin E supplement, copper proteinate (a source of chelated copper), manganese proteinate (a source of chelated manganese), riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, potassium iodide, biotin, vitamin D3 supplement.

Thanks...

Edited by author Tue Aug 14, '12 5:14pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 5:25pm PST 
Hmmm, it was where the canola oil is listed... I must admit, it's been at least two years since I discovered chicken fat in their fish ingredients and quit buying it!! Aparently it is no longer in there???
Thanks for checking that Olive!!! Maybe I can now add it back into my rotation?

BUT... they still DO have chicken meal in the High Pairie Bison and lamb formula, and egg in their canned Pacific Wetlands and other canned foods!!

Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product,dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Edited by author Tue Aug 14, '12 5:35pm PST

[notify]

Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 5:38pm PST 
Yes -- we don't feed canned anyway, but we don't feed the High Prairie or Wetland dry formulas because they contain chicken. The Pacific Stream (Fish) and Sierra Mountain (Lamb) dry formulas are chicken-free, however.

TOTW makes good quality food that's fairly economical ($25/15 lb. bag here -- not bad) and I think the next time you're in the store you might want to take another look.

I wouldn't put it past TOTW to make changes to their foods like that. When I got Olive last year as a pup I started her on TOTW -- which was, at that point, listed as an "All Life Stages Food". Just as she hit about 6 months, the company decided to remove the "All Life Stages" label (kept the same ingredients!) and manufacture a puppy food. I was livid. I hope it's purely for economical reasons and not because it was found that TOTW was unfit for puppies..........

Edited by author Tue Aug 14, '12 5:42pm PST

[notify]
Bailey

Wild Child

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 1:40pm PST 
There's a difference between food allergies and food intolerance.

A food intolerance is when a dog cannot properly digest a food. this will result in digestive issues like gas, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, etc.

A food allergy is when the immune system reacts to a food. Symptoms of that is skin infections, ear infections, rashes, itchiness, irritated skin, etc.

http://www.dog-food-quality.com/hypoallergenic-dog-food.html
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 6:09pm PST 
Thanks for correcting my miswording Toto..I totally meant to write the oppositeeek
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 6:23pm PST 
I was pretty positive that was the case, Kloppers!!!! Couldn't let that one go, though.
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 10:19pm PST 
Bailey, good post...that is consistent with what Cindy was taught, that allergies in dogs generally manifest themselves as skin and coat irritations and ear gunk...redness between the toes of the paws, itching/scratching at the paws, poor coat, itchy coat, biting at the coat/skin, gunk in the eyes. Allergies are a reaction to protein so the meat or the grain content of a food are usually the "culprits."

Food intolerances will usually be manifest in digestive issues...diarrhea, constipation.

And if you're incredibly unlucky you can experience both. Cindy is allergic to food molds and yeast, she doesn't tolerate lactose or corn well...Cindy was pretty unhappy the day the doctor explained that chocolate production includes the use of a fermenting mold....
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2