GO!

Amount of Krill oil for a 20# dog?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 8:25am PST 
Mega Red products are on sale at Costco.

I've been reading here and others sites about Krill and have decided try it for my self and Spiffy, our 20# Miniature Schnauzer. She currently gets 600mg per day of fish oil. Bottle I bought has 300mg tablets.

In my various readings, I still not quite sure just how much I should give Spiffy. One tablet per day?

Thanks Liz
[notify]
Charlie

Mini Hound

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 2:13am PST 
My dog Charlie gets one 1000 mg capsule salmon oil every day in his food, once a day. He is about 23 lbs. Salmon oil is not Krill oil so i don't know if that helps. wave I started with the oil last year when i found out he has a flea allergy to help his dry skin. My vet told me 1000 mg is fine. To be sure, i would call the vet.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 6:48pm PST 
What is the actual breakdown on the label? The dosage is not based on the mg of fish oil in the tablets. How much EPA and DHA are in each pill?
[notify]

Charlie

Mini Hound

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 1:33am PST 
EPA 150mg and DHA 180mg (norwegian salmon oi) if your message was for me smile that's what my dog gets daily once in the morning.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 8:32am PST 
wave Was actually directing that question at the OP, but thats okay!
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 8:39am PST 
To the OP... Multiply your dogs weight by 20, and thats how much EPA he/she should be getting. I'm not familiar with Krill Oil so I'm not sure if it ends up balancing out the DHA or not (some oils are naturally more balanced in this than others).
So if your dog is 20# then he/she should be getting 400mg of EPA. If each pill contains, say, 100mg of EPA, then Spiffy would need 4 pills daily.
Sometimes the breakdown is listed by percentage... In that case just multiple the percent times the total MG of each pill (in your case, 300) and that is how many mg per pill. From there you can figure out how many pills daily.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 3:22pm PST 
Thanks for the info. Since Miniature schnauzers are very prone to Pancreas problems, we've been advised to stay away from the salmon oil. We use a fish oil from whitefishes. Anyway, we've been giving her a 500 mg of regular fish oil for years. Good, but I had read Krill oil was so much better. I got some for myself 325 mg. Unfortunately, Spiffy won't be taking it. She will not eat the gelatin pill and I must puncture it. (Same with the fish oil pill) But, the Krill pill has a shell too difficult to puncture and I end up getting very little of the oil out. So I guess its back to regular fish oil
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 6:06pm PST 
Wondering why you are considering krill oil ??

Whales and many fish depend on their existence it IS their sole food or a large part of their diet.

If more are harvested then its a further reason for whales and such to suffer even more hardship.

I am sure most dont think of that. and I am SURE none wish to be part of the furthering of stress on these beautiful mammals.

There are PLENTY of other healthy oils to give... please consider your choices.
[notify]
Charlie

Mini Hound

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 2:28am PST 
This is for Bam-Bam smile so i figured my dog, which is about 23 lbs gets way too less EPA (which is 150 mg/capsule) thinking, thanks for the info, i didn't know the right dose, my vet said i should give him one of the salmon oil capsules i've bought, will talk with her about it next week when i have an appointment anyways. I got the EPA thingy now, but what about the DHA? Do i have to pay attention to that one too? It's 180mg/capsule, that's what he gets right now.

And the Krill oil, i was thinking about it too. Krill is near the bottom of the food chain which i believe means better quality since Krill only feeds on plankton. But not sure, i only know its expensive. Have to do my research wave
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 10:21am PST 
I agree with Flicka that krill oil is not an environmentally conscious choice...krill are having enough problems without also being exploited for oil.

A better choice would be salmon oil or sardine oil (or just feeding sardines).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2