GO!

Beneful dog food may be killing dogs

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Danya

A- species-appropri- ate diet is the- best!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 1:49pm PST 
Hello Milton,
You are absolutely correct but don’t limit your comments just to Beneful.
All Purina products are simply awful and when you look at the ingredients you’ll see why.
Here’s the ingredients for Beneful® Healthy Radiance®... it’s a dangerous list of what to stay away from in a pet food. Should come as no surprise that there’s absolutely no meat in it:

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon, rice flour, soy flour, meat and bone meal, water, propylene glycol, sugar, soybean oil, animal digest, tricalcium phosphate, phosphoric acid, salt, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, sorbic acid (a preservative), dried green beans, dried carrots, calcium propionate (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, DL-Methionine, ferrous sulfate, Red 40, manganese sulfate, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, Blue 2, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex.

Unbelievable that this could pass for dog food.
Best regards,
Roger Biduk
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 2:45pm PST 
For the life of me, I cannot figure out WHY they must add sugar with all those carbs in there anyway.
[notify]
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 3:11pm PST 
I have been trying, without any luck, to get my nephew to stop giving his Border Collie Beneful. He's an amazing dog, but he's only 6 yrs. old and my 9 yr. old dog can run circles around him. I'm going to send him to their facebook page and maybe he'll finally realize that it's not just his nagging aunt who thinks that this stuff is no good.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 8:01pm PST 
Wow beneful does have sugar in it! I've looked at the ingredients before, but never really noticed it before now.

Only meat.. chicken by product meal, animal fat and salmon, meat and bone meal.

Sad so many kibble has ingrdients like this no name of what kind of animal fat or meat and bone meal or chicken by product.

I'm OK with kibble that has chicken liver, gizzards, but it is named as that not just chicken organs or by product..

There is many kibble out there with decent price and ingredients if price is an issue..
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:47am PST 
I tried Beneful for the first time and both my dogs got sick. Mason my Great Pyrness / Antolian shepard mix was at the Vets for two days. They almost did unnessacery surgury on him and had to give him IV all weekend. and Oscar my brussel griffin mix only through up but I filed a claim with purina and they only want to pay me $500 towards the $2500 pet bill and said it was an allergic reaction. Well if that was the case then why did 5 dogs in my neiborhood and 12 dogs at the dog park we go to also get sick. Has anyone else filed a claim with them and if so what was yor out come? I have read on the internet that there has bee about 300 cases of dogs getting sick and or dieing because of this and I feel they should at least pay for my vet bills and look into the cause of this "allergic reaction"
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 8:55pm PST 
Well, that's unnerving to read. My dog has been eating Beneful, on and off, for a few years now, without any problems. Still, I don't want to take any chances. Time to find another brand.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 1:23am PST 
Honestly, I can't stress enough that people need to read the labels. If you care about your dog's health then isn't it worth knowing what you're feeding them? The top ingredients in Beneful are appalling - corn to start, and just consider how hard corn is to digest! It's a filler. The next ingredient is chicken by-products which are all the wastage that can't be used for anything else - heads, beaks, feet, blood. Even whole wheat flour and rice flour is no way near as good as the real deal. And sugar...

People need to stop getting duped by advertising campaigns. Read this review on petfoodratings.org:

http://www.petfoodratings.org/dog-food-listings-reviews/#Beneful
[notify]
Sepp-Lok's- Saber WTD- WLD

Run hard, run- fast, run far

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 4:52pm PST 
Keep an eye out for bag changes. It's one of the things a company will do to cover up a recall. You will see the food get scarce and the petstore wont be able to tell you why there's a shortage or they will tell you "They are changing their packaging". There are legitimate package changes that happen from time to time, but if there's no warning, and the food just vanishes then re-appears in new bagging and all the petstore can tell you is "Well, we guess thats why it disapeared, they were changing packaging" then you know the company just had some sort of problem with their food. Companies don't change bags often (They want you to be able to find the food you're used to buying) if there is going to be a packaging change the company will warn the stores that it's comming, tell them to up their orders and prepare for possible delays in shipments and the store will be able to tell you that. If they dont give warning and they change their bag designs alot? Yeah, read the ingredients labels, it's likely there have been changes.

Nutro since Mars bought them has been really active with bag changes, and every time the bags change, more corn, wheat and by-products show up in the ingredient lists.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 6:53pm PST 
Pretty sure most of Nutro's lines don't even have corn/wheat/soy in them anymore?

I don't even get that comment. They took all that crap OUT of it.
[notify]
Max

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 6:08pm PST 
My Max was on Beneful for most of his life, sadly. I knew nothing about dog food but now that I think about it, he had seizures from early on in his life (around when we started him on it). No wonder my mother and I were confused about him not having any seizures when we switched to Blue Buffalo after he was diagnosed with cancer. Sadly, it was too late. =(
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8