GO!

Need New Suggestions

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 9:27am PST 
Blah typos today ment to say Wouldnt go.
[notify]
Lassie

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 2:22pm PST 
I would definitely try going grain free. If you want to stick with the Solid Gold brand, try Barking at the Moon. However, it does contain pea protein as one of the food's main ingredients, which has a lower biological value than meat.

I recommend Merrick's Before Grain, Wellness Core, and Organix Adult Dry Dog food (original formula.)

Good luck!

Btw, the others are right - eight cups is waaay too much. Try to stick with the feeding portions given on the bag. If you really think your dog is that hungry, try adding more fiber to her diet by supplementing her normal dog food with carrots, apples, or canned pumpkin.

Edited by author Wed Jun 27, '12 2:25pm PST

[notify]
Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 11:43am PST 
I was feeding Presley TOTW before the recall & he was eating 4 cups a day, so yea your puppy was eating way more than the directions on my bag suggested.
I feed Presley RAW now, and I will never go back to kibble. The transformation has been astonishing!
Having said all of that, I think that if I were gna feed kibble again it would either be Orijen, Blue Buffalo, or Royal Canin...
GOOD LUCK!
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 12:37pm PST 
Thanks Presley. I figured until i do more research i shouldnt do raw just yet even though i would love to. Im going to keep her on the Solid Gold a little while longer and see how it goes. I guess i am trying to rush the results just a little, i need to learn they wont be over night. naughty
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 4:49pm PST 
Well i checked her poops today when she went and they are alot smaller and firmer than they were last week. So i would say thats good right?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 6:08pm PST 
Yes, that's good. She may of just needed a little more time to transition to the new stuff. If they're small and well formed, then that's good!
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 7:13am PST 
Mulder's already made some good points about a dog in a food transition change. It can take up to 6-7 weeks before a dog gets through a transition.- If the stool is firm and low volume, that's a very good sign. After the next bath, keep an eye on the coat, after a couple of months on the new food you should expect to see nice shine to the coat, less shedding, if the food's really agreeing with your dog.

Other options to look at if you choose to change foods might be Ultra or Natural Choice Grain Free. You can research them here:
http://www.nutro.com/natural-pet-food.aspx

The rewards tab on that site has coupon info.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2