GO!

Need New Suggestions

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 7:22am PST 
Well Kashmir has been on Solid Gold Millenia for a whole now but i am worried thats its not doing very well for her. Ever since we switched her to it she had a very a greasy coat and her dandruff has come back. Now we need another suggestion for a better quality food. I was thinking of trying blue buffalo instead? I know for a fact i looked everywhere and cant find Acana in my area. The store i buy food does sell orijen but its very expensive and she doesnt like the natures variety. Suggestions?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 7:58am PST 
Exactly how long has she been on it (got cut off from your OP)?

She could be going through a "detox" on the new food. Don't know how much this applies to kibble, but in switching to raw its pretty standard that things LOOK like they are getting worse before they take a drastic leap for the better. Think of it like the body purging itself of all the junk they'd built up over the years on a lesser quality food.

Ifs its only been a couple of weeks, I'd stick with it and see if you can't ride this out (if it actually is a "detox"). If you haven't seen any improvement over a mother/6 weeks or so, then consider switching.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 8:11am PST 
Thanks Mulder. Shes only been on it maybe 2 weeks now. I didnt even think of the detox thing. I realized for my schedule theres no way i could handle raw right now. Plus i dont feel comfortable switching unitl i read more about it, so she is going to stay on Kibble. Maybe she just needs a bath (it has been awhile now that i think about it red face) But ill keep her on it for the month and see how it goes.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 8:28am PST 
Yeah, I'd give it at least a couple more weeks and see where you're at then.

If it makes you feel any better, Mulder's skin right now is an absolute mess. He's raw fed, but has some environmental allergies that hit him pretty hard in the summer. His coat looks great, but his skin is flaking like nobody's business. My point being its that time of the year... might not just be the food causing the skin/coat weirdness.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 8:46am PST 
Thanks again Mulder. She did go swimming the other day and play in the sprinkler and then who knows what shes been getting into outside when im not home laugh out loud I think a nice bath should help. I do have 1 more question. How long till her stools firm up? They are still a little mushy silenced
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 9:00am PST 
If they've been consistently mushy for 2 weeks, first thing I'd try is feeding less and see what that does for you. Don't know how much she's eating now or what her weight is, but I'd start with small increments like 1/4 of a cup, and see if things don't get better over a day or two. If not, I'd cut back again, try 1/3 of a cup less.

If things don't clear up after that... then maybe the food really doesn't agree with her, and it might be time to switch. Personally I find consistent bad stool quality more bothersome than initial changes in coat/etc. Try cutting back the food, but if that doesn't help, then maybe it is better to keep looking.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 9:29am PST 
Well i havent been really keeping track of the poop and i know i should have been naughty But the other day i was outside and we were playing and hers was very soft and mushy. Im not sure how long its been like that? She is already fed a measured amount what is off the top of my head im not sure. But we measured it since when she was eating totw she was getting almost 8 cups a day, and she was super chunky. I hate to cut back because she acts like she is starving and will steal food from the other dogs bowl.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 8:09am PST 
Holy cow 8 cups of totw!!! That's what Tanuk ate as a growing puppy! Definitely cut back! How much of the SG are you feeding? That could most certainly be the soft stool problem.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 8:29am PST 
Good gravy, yes, 8 cups is a LOT!

For a dog Mulder's size (75lbs), I was feeding 2-3 cups a day (depending on if I wanted him to maintain or lose weight). I would NEVER go above 3 cups a day on that food.

For a food like SG, which is likely lower in fat/calories, you'll probably be feeding close to 3-4 cups a day for a dog in Kashmir's size rang. If you're feeding 5+ cups a day, then yes, that very likely could be the source of the bad poops!
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 8:45am PST 
Oh was 8 cups way to much back then. She didnt have a waiste at all she was just round like a balloon. But she now gets about 3 cups a day now. Should i cut that back to a little less? I tried to look at her poop yesterday but she would go, figures when i want to see it big laugh But today i will be depooping the yard and will check to see what the consistancy is.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2