GO!

Weight gain for skinny dog?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Abe

Hubbabubba boy

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 11:40am PST 
I've seen several vets since I got Abe as my service dog, over his weight problem. Abe, no matter how much I feed him will not gain weight. I've even had to cease working him these past two months because his weight is too low and he was rubbing his hips raw just laying down. When I take him into public, people think I'm starving him or he's an abused dog I just got. What they don't realize is that he's been on many high quality foods, eating sometimes double and triple the recommended amount. I've done oils, oatmeal, pumpkin, vitamins and etc, all in an attempt to get him to a normal weight.
All the vets I've seen have tested him for everything from parasites, cancer and even diabetes (rare cases has shown to cause weight loss) and they all tell me that Abe is in stunning health even though he's very underweight by 5-7lbs. They have told me that he might just have a high working metabolism. I asked several vets if neutering him would help. All of them have told me that neutering will not have a drastic effect and in cases of dogs with this high a metabolism, wont make a difference. I've talked to country vets and even vets that have been trained and worked at some of the best vet clinics and they still tell me the same thing.
If you guys know of some ways I can pack some weight on my dog safely, let me know. I'm open to all ideas, however please keep in mind that I don't have a lot of money to spend. I hope there are some good home remedies that could help me. I just want to get him to a normal weight.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 12:40pm PST 
I'm sure you'll get alot of better answers then this, but my Hucky is overweight and it's because I use to cook rice and add it to his food. Rice is starchy and sticks to the ribs. I wasn't trying to add any weight to him, I just started cooking ground beef and rice to add to his food to give him less kibble. Also hotdogs are fattening and we use to give them hotdogs and peanut butter (another fattening food) in their kongs everyday. My poor boy is now on a diet and wondering where all that good food went to.
[notify]
Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 12:42pm PST 
what about the recover rs food from royal canin or a/d from hills or max cal from iams? You have to get them from the vet though. Also when my little guy couldnt gain weight I got some script powder from the vet that got him to gain weight easily along with the max calorie food. Hope this helps. Most vets are willing to give you the food or powder, hoping it may help your guy.
[notify]

Abe

Hubbabubba boy

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 3:55pm PST 
>>what about the recover rs food from royal canin or a/d from hills or max cal from iams?

I've tried a variety of foods including, Iams, Hills, Innova, Royal Canin, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo and I even received a food from the vet intended for nursing and pregnant female dogs. That food gave him about 2lbs before he lost it again. It's as if his body becomes use to the food and starts burning the calories off again. I'll try the meat and rice thing tonight. I have some old deer meat and brown rice I need to get ride of that people can't eat but will be fine for dogs.

Edited by author Tue Jun 5, '12 3:59pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 4:54pm PST 
He is a young adult of a breed that tends to leanness, but I understand a couple pounds makes a huge difference in appearance. 44 pound Sassy would lose 4 pounds during a back packing trip and look like a skeleton more than a lean athletic dog by the time the trip was over.

What about adding more fat? Scramble or mix a raw egg into his food daily? Start with a little and add more if you like what happens.

Are you using any supplements like fish oil? Could buy canned sardine, mackerel or salmon [try the dollar store or Big Lots] and mix some in daily.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 5:45pm PST 
It's hard to tell by the pics that you have posted how skinny he is. There is one pic that shows a portion of his back and I don't see his back bone sticking out. He does look thinner that I would keep him if he were mine. I have a friend who had a Shepherd who was very skinny until she had him neutered. Then he packed the weight on. Does Abe have normal stools? How often does he go? If they are loose and he goes often, then that may be his problem. Kali has issues with keeping weight on. Her food doesn't stay in her body long enough for her to absorb the nutrients, so, she doesn't gain weight. I have her on Prozyme digestive enzymes, so that her her body can absorb the food she eats. I get it from Amazon.com. It's a lot cheaper than buying it from the vet. I also mix her food with home cooked and kibble. Sometimes if you increase the protein, it will put weight on them. Hope that helps. Please keep us posted and good luck!
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 6:56pm PST 
It was hard to get a good look at his body condition from the pictures. But what I did see doesn't look underweight for a redbone at all. I don't know what his weight and height at withers is or why you think he needs to gain weight, but I'm not convinced he needs to gain.

Compare his photos to those of other redboned coonhounds. I think it might be reassuring.
[notify]
Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 8:20pm PST 
you could add bacon grease to kibble, or something really fatty like that to the lamb and rice I am sure that may help a bit...mabey ask about the weight powder that the vet has in addition to all that. I hope you find something that works. Now that I think about it I am not sure how much the max calorie food worked for riley I think it was more a combo of me adding puppy food, the powder from the vet and other things to get him to bulk up a bit...but my riley is only 9 pounds as it is and when he slims down we only need to add a pound or two..Hope this helps.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 9:02am PST 
have you tried any high calorie/protein foods like orijen, evo or natures variety instinct?

Edited by author Wed Jun 6, '12 9:02am PST

[notify]
Paco

To pee or not to- pee...

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 1:20pm PST 
Paco used to be like this. The major thing that helped was getting him neutered. I would definitely try that. Another thing that helped was canned green tripe. Before he was neutered, we would feed him tripe and it would help him not look so bony, but neutering him finally helped him reach and keep a healthy weight. Also, we feed him puppy food because it is higher calorie/fat/etc. He eats By Nature Puppy, it is $40 for a 33 pound bag at wag.com.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2