GO!

Bladder Stones Help

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 6:47pm PST 
If she eats it that buys you some time to work out what to feed that has the same nutritional goals. S/D is lower in protein, phosphorus and magnesium, find a food that meets those goals elsewhere. Dogaware has a list of non prescription foods that are lower in phosphorus, perhaps some are lower in magnesium too.
http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidneynonprescription.html
Inf o on sturvites in general.
http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjstruvites.html

My dog's crystals resolved with more water and opportunities to void urine as well as treating the underlying cause - bladder infection. UTI are really horrible. They linger, require expensive urine cultures to be done way more than you would like to pay for them and the penalty for neglecting them is very serious.
[notify]
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 2:25pm PST 
Having just gone through this with Murph quite a few times I completely understand! We put Murph on royal canin prescription diet for it and it was gone within a month. However I did some research and contacted Royal Canin and they told me what they do to the prescription diet, they just have lower mineral contents.

This is the exact email response I got from them "The Urinary SO is a very specially designed diet. It's not like most urinary diets available. Most diets treat urinary tract disease by regulating pH alone. Instead, the Urinary SO works off a methodology called Relative Super Saturation (RSS.) RSS allows us to predict the likelihood of crystals to form. We are able to create an environment that will dissolve struvite crystals and stones and help prevent new calcium oxalates from forming. We do this by reducing the amount of minerals in the diet that cause these crystals to form and therefore reduce the amount of minerals being excreted into the bladder where the crystals form. We also dilute the urine by causing the pet to want to drink more and urinate more."

I did some more research and compared many foods to Royal Canin's mineral count and found that a lot of foods have lower mineral counts than what RC has! The main minerals you want to watch for are calcium and magnesium. It's also probably a better idea to feed a wet food over dry as they need more water intake (Which RC does by adding salt to their food). Murph's been on Bravo! pre-made raw chicken for a few months now and so far his problems have not returned. Of course every dog is different but just sharing what I've learned and have had luck with so far. Hope everything works out for youhug
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 9:16pm PST 
Regarding the water intake...Cindy did buy me a MUCH larger water bowl. I've always loved a good bowl of water anyway but now it is even more important. So, although it seems a small think, a larger water bowl or more access to water can help.

Also, I must admit, after that very scary episode...I have had no further problems. Cindy winces when she reads the ingredients on Hill's C/D...but in truth, it was the one food I did eat willingly, and my coat has not deteriorated too much.

The commercially produced prescription foods are clearly NOT your only option though Sierra...hang in there...and don't forget the larger water bowl!
[notify]

Foxie

Small in size,- but big of heart

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 10:14pm PST 
Murphy, you are so right about royal canin. I was on it and it made me pee like a race horse. My bloodwork showed high sodium, which is bad for my little pomeranian heart. It is high in salt, designed to "flush" rather than prevent crystals. Stay away from rc urinary so. And canned is better for uti's.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 11:44am PST 
We were able to dissolve our dog's struvite bladder stones in 10 weeks without using a prescription dog food. See:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Faskville.amazon .com%2Fshare-info-dog's-10-week-successful-struvite-bladder-stone-di ssolution%2FAnswerViewer.do%3FrequestId%3D87918848&h=MAQHBo7X9
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2