GO!

Food suggestions for sensitive stomach - GSD, senior

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Piper

Bite, bite,- chew, chew!

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 10:35am PST 
Pace is our newest addition. He’s around 9-11 years old and a German Sheppard mix. He was found running the streets, filthy, emaciated & exhausted. No one ever claimed him and the vet that examined him said she felt he’d been confined (penned or tied) in a small area as the muscles in his back legs were weak/atrophied. He also had heartworms.

A year later, he’s healthy and finished HW treatment. But ever since the 2nd HW injection, he’s had a very sensitive stomach.

Since he came to us, he’s been on Blue chicken & rice and, while he does ok, I think he could be better (loose bowel movements, occasional diarrhea). Since we’ve had him checked (more than once) and verified that he’s medically sound, I think it’s time to change his food. Not to mention, lately he’s been refusing to eat it!

What food would you recommend for this fellow? I’m confident he’s lived his whole life on the crappiest food you can buy. Maybe BB is just too rich for him?
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 11:44am PST 
How about a limited ingredient diet? BB has a line of LIDs if you want to stick with BB.
[notify]
Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 3:03pm PST 
I have to agree that I think a limited ingredient diet might be something to try. I like Blue Buffalo, but have never used their Basics. I have 3 senior dogs and 1 adult. Two of my seniors recently started having some stomach issues....off and on rumbly stomachs, loose stool and not wanting to eat. They were on a very good food, but it wasn't limited ingredient. I finally put all the dogs on Natural Balance Pot. & Duck dry and cans and also the biscuits for treats. I do add probiotics and sometimes enzymes, coconut oil and a vitamin. So far, it's been working well. I will keep them on this food and try to rotate with some of the other flavors. I plan on keeping up with the probiotics and coconut oil, and I'm going to add some supplements from a company called Springtime, Inc. called Fresh Factors (whole food vitamin) and Joint Health Advanced instead of the vitamin I'm currently using. I used to use Springtime, Inc. supplements with great success, but just kinda stopped lately, but I plan on using them again. They all seem to work really well with senior dogs (really all dogs).
[notify]

Kenzie

I'm a Ninja

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 3:49pm PST 
Wellness Simple Solutions might be a good alternative too.
[notify]
Piper

Bite, bite,- chew, chew!

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 5:09pm PST 
Good suggstions, thank you!

He's also on a probiotic. I would love to incorporate some fish oil into his diet but I'm scared I'm going to set off that sensitive tummy. Maybe I should wait to add that after he's transitioned to a new food ... ?
[notify]
Piper

Bite, bite,- chew, chew!

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 5:40pm PST 
Do you guys (and gals) think the Natural Balance limited formula of fish would be too abrupt a change from BB chicken & rice? I'm not sure which formula to try first, to be honest ... I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices!
[notify]
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 9:39am PST 
I think you could try it and see what happens. Buy a small bag, mix it slowly with the old food and do the change slowly. If you notice his problems get worse, then you can go back to the Blue. Some places will even refund your money if you return the partially used bag (with receipt) and tell them your dog can't eat it.

NB does have a chicken LID formula too, you might want to try that if you're nervous about too big of a change. Or a lamb and brown rice formula, if you think changing to grain free will cause problems. If money is an issue, sometimes the other formulas are also less expensive than the fish ones.

You may even find that it was the chicken or the rice that doesn't sit well with him, and that changing that up helps. Zack is allergic to rice and always does better on fish than he does on chicken. Zack is also allergic to lamb, but we've tried the canned NB bison, venison, duck, and fish formulas as toppers, he liked them all. way to go

ETA: For sensitive dogs, I'd change one thing at a time so if there are problems, you know what caused them. Transition to the new food before adding fish oil, or add the fish oil to his current food and be sure it doesn't set him off before trying the new food. If you do both at once, and have problems, you won't know whether it was the food or the fish oil.

Edited by author Wed Mar 21, '12 9:42am PST

[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 11:55am PST 
No matter what food you change over to be sure to blend it over a week's period of time. 25-75, 50-50 and the 75-25. This way Piper's stomach will get used to the new food. The food could be a little too rice for his tummy if he has been used to a brand where there are lots of fillers.

I agree that a limited diet is a good choice to switch to. There are a lot of choices out there. A fish would be good as it does have the extra oils, omega's for skin and coat and some have probiatics in the formulation already but it can never hurt to supplement either.

Zoie has had sensitive stomach issues at times ad I have used Nutro NC Herring plus their NC Grain Free.

Good luck finding one that suits Piper's needs. He is so lucky to have been adopted by you and that you are intersted in his health. Heres to a good healthy life for Piper.
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 3:48pm PST 
I know we have used the limited ingredient foods made by Nutro. And have had very good luck with the dogs being able ot eat it better.
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 11:55pm PST 
Me n' Barney don't have touchy tummies right now, but in times past Cindy has resorted to the Natural Choice Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal food by Nutro. Also, oatmeal is a very good ingredient for sensitive stomachs, it is easy to digest, pretty yummy, and nutritious. You could try cooking up a little oatmeal, very plain oatmeal, and trying a spoonful or two in the dogs food.

http://www.nutro.com/natural-dog-food/natural-choice-dog-fo od/adult-dog-food-meal-chicken-rice-oatmeal.aspx
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2