GO!

Soy nut butter?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Fezzik

Little ball of- energy!

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 3:24pm PST 
hey all,

We have a peanut allergy in the house (my daughter), so we can't have any tree nut/peanut items in the house to make sure she doesn't get any cross-contamination.

However, Fezzik loves peanut butter!

Well, we have a substitute for our daughter - soy "nut" butter - and Fezzik seems to like it as well. But recently he's had the runs and he was throwing up everything, including his water. We'd recently been on a very long trip and had returned with this started.

The vet said that he'd heard there was "something going on" with Blue Buffalo food (we switched him to it from Natural Balance back in October because he just didn't like the old stuff anymore and was refusing to eat). The vet switched him to "something easier on his stomach" - which is Purina. Ugh. I have a very high suspicion that he's getting some kind of kick back or something by selling us "high grade" Purina brand food (the first ingredient is corn gluten!). so he was eating again -yay - but I'm slowly swapping out the Purina for the BB. I don't care if he's a vet, I just cannot believe that Purina is better/healthier for him than something like BB.

Anyway, the other day we gave him a Kong with soy nut butter in it. He hadn't had one in a while, and he's been LOTS better. My husband noted that he seemed like he was having a hard time pooping.

So it dawned on me... Maybe the SOY is what's doing bad for his digestion. However, I can't find any information on it. So I was wondering if you all knew: is soy bad for dogs? It would make sense, I think. But before I get a jar of peanut butter (solely meant for Fezzik), or swap to another snack (like cheese) COULD the soy be what's messing him up?
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 3:33pm PST 
It could be. Soy products give Bruno really bad gas. Legumes in general can cause digestive upset in dogs (and humans) who aren't used to eating them. My human sister is soy-intolerant, she gets the same symptoms lactose-intolerant people get from eating dairy when she eats too much tofu or other soy products- stomach pain, gas, diarrhea.

Also, have you tried sunflower seed butter? I think it's WAY tastier than soynut butter, even better than real peanut butter, and not as expensive as almond or hazelnut butter. I used to make my own in the food processor because bulk hulled sunflower seeds are pretty cheap. Trader Joe's house brand sunflower seed butter is really yummy too.
[notify]
Fezzik

Little ball of- energy!

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 3:38pm PST 
Thanks Bruno! I haven't heard of sunflower seed butter, I'll see if I can find any. (sunflower seeds are delicious, I bet the butter would be awesome!)

We'll cut out the soy and see if that doesn't help things a bit. Thanks again smile
[notify]

Kadidja

native of Niger- princess

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 8:35pm PST 
Yes, it is probably the soy. Soy is for people and for goats, but not dogs. Plants are not for dogs! Meat is for dogs! Give the dog some camel and he will be much happier.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 5:41am PST 
I have Akitas and one of the first things I learned when doing research on the breed was NEVER give them soy. Even our vet advised against it when we took our first an Akita mix into see him the first time. Soy can cause allergic reactions and there are some studies that were done at the time, more than 15 years ago, that also concluded that soy can contribute to the risk of bloat and does produce more gas in certain if not all breeds. I have since always avoided any snacks,foods,and even chews with any soy listed in the label. I would happily cite the sources but since it has been 15+ years I only remember finding it on an Akita site on AOL.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 6:37am PST 
Kudos to what others said and agree with Bruno, sunflower butter is amazing, so much better tasting then peanut butter.
[notify]