GO!

Why is the price of dog food going up so fast????

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

POSH ( CGC- )

Yes, I am this- Purdy in the- morning

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 7:27am PST 
We buy Kirkland Lamb and Rice for a couple of reasons.

1. I think it is a pretty good dog food and receives an A+ or 112 points on the dog food survey.

2. We have three pretty good size dogs to feed, and the price is nice.

However, recently in the last year it has went up about $3.00 bag at Costco.

Is any other brands going up so fast?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 7:37am PST 
Last time I looked, Taste of the Wild jumped from 39.99 a bag, to 46.99.

So no, I think its happening to a lot of brands, unfortunatly confused
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 8:39am PST 
It seems like not just dogfood too. I had read dog food would go up a few months ago. But also everything in my supermarket seems to slowly risen like drinks and meat especially. I guess the hard economy times?
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 9:28am PST 
Hmm, I think our Kirkland's went up about a dollar, but it's still only $23 for the lamb or $22 for the chicken.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 9:29am PST 
The cost of some ingredients has gone up, plus the cost to transport the food to distributors. confused
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 9:58am PST 
There were some huge leaps in food prices back in April/May/June. I imagine the price jumps now are just playing catch-up to keep their profit margins.

Retail beef prices are set to raise by about 9% this year. The demand for US beef is kind of ridiculous so with less production the price is going to soar.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 11:38am PST 
Titus is right, because most goods that arrive in stores are trucked in, the high price of oil and gas effects the cost of everything on store shelves.

Add to that the fact that just about every type of meat has gone up as well due to many factors...it was only a matter of time before dog food jumped in price.

On average, we're paying almost 20% more per grocery trip than we were a year ago.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 12:59pm PST 
I don't know about the USA but on the news last night they reported that some employers in Canada are planning a 3% wage increase next year. It's a whole circle - the cost of living goes ups - workers need to be paid MORE just to live the SAME lifestyle - company raises the product price to cover the wage hike - cost of living goes up. shrug
[notify]