GO!

Cost of dog food in Canada!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 7:44pm PST 
Was at a pet store up here (I'm on vacation in Ontario visiting a friend) and saw a 30lb bag of TOTW for 71.99!!!

Back when Samson was still kibble-fed a bag of that ran me about $47 including taxes...this was BEFORE a 13% sales tax. He is still being fed raw up here don't worry...just thought I would share that. Crazy!

Even the brands with Canadian distributors (I'm pretty sure Diamond has a Canadian distributor though...) were similarly priced. Even lower-quality kibbles like Pro Plan were $59.99 for a 30lb bag. Crazy.

Even at the prices I'm paying at home for raw, it would be CHEAPER for me to feed raw than buy kibble up here.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 8:21pm PST 
Well Canadian stuff is normally more expensive than American. Something about the value difference of out currencies?
Either way, if it was that much American, I'd find a different kibble. I'm glad I pay only $40 for a 30 pound bag here.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 8:32pm PST 
It's not just Canadian prices that can be crazy. In my area a 20pound bag of Innova is around $90 before 6% sales tax and I live in Pennsylvania.
[notify]

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 8:36pm PST 
Right now the Canadian dollar is worth MORE than the US dollar, if I recall correctly. 15-20 years ago it was worth noticeably less but they've been neck and neck for a long time now. Certainly not enough to account for a $30 price hike!!!

Edited by author Sat Oct 1, '11 8:36pm PST

[notify]
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 11:28pm PST 
It's especially ridiculous when CANADIAN foods like Acana and Orijen (and a handful of other good brands) are the most expensive. All of the good "cheaper" dog foods in Canada are easily $65 for 30lb bags. Orijen is about $80 for a 30lb bag...

It's been really hard to afford food up here. I've had no choice but to switch my dogs to a grocery store kibble (PC's NUTRITION FIRST grain free).

If I were to convert the price of a $45 bag of good dog food from USD to CAD, it'd come out as $47. A couple months back it would have been $44.

Edited by author Sat Oct 1, '11 11:31pm PST

[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 11:38pm PST 
Charlie, have you thought about feeding raw? I am staying with a friend who does that and she says she is saving about 50% off what she used to pay for a good-quality kibble. She even saves money off what she would pay for feeding a bottom-of-the-barrel kibble.

Try finding a meat packaging plant that you could buy from, maybe? I don't know if it is feasible for you but she's seen massive savings from switching off kibble to raw.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 11:38pm PST 
I live in western Canada. Actually I live about 30 minutes from the Champion Pet Foods factory, and I still pay around $65 bucks for just the 15 lb bag of Orijen regional red. The biggest bag is like $80.. boo high dog food prices. I can't justify spending $2.70/lb on kibble (albeit, high quality kibble) when I can feed raw for less than $1.50/lb, even though the meat prices are higher in Canada too. Good thing my province only has GST as a tax on regular products.
[notify]
Maggie - RIP - 1998-2010

Even senior dogs- make great new- pets.

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 12:08am PST 
It isn't just dog food that costs a lot more. I started going across the border to do most of my shopping about 6 months ago. A few days ago our dollar was at .95 cents to the U.S dollar. But it is still cheaper for me to drive the 40 minutes to go across the river. Thank goodness we are allowed to bring pet food back over as long at it isn't an open bag.

Oh just a tip to save money. From time to time companies that have FB sometimes put coupons on their page that you can print off. All you have to do is like the page to get them and you can print off two per computer.
[notify]
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 12:09am PST 
I feed raw as much as possible but meat prices here have gone up a bunch too.

I was just at the asian market not too long ago and a small package of turkey necks was like $7.. It's ridiculous. I'm going to visit a meat packing plant near me soon but I can only imagine the outrageous prices they might charge for SCRAPS.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 10:14am PST 
Now imagine feeding 3 full grown GSDs and a handful of pups. I don't get the price difference. I live in a big city at the moment. While looking around a couple of weeks ago I found a bag of Orijen for 78.99. That was the best price I found. If I had to feed that to my dogs we would end up living in a tent.Bad enough that a vet exam and vaccs are $114.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3