GO!

Foods and Acid Reflux?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 3:16pm PST 
Scruffy had been eating Natural Balance Lamb & Rice for about 2 months. Last week he started throwing up in the morning before breakfast. So we started giving him a snack before bed and that helped and he stopped throwing up in the morning before breakfast. Now that we finished the bag we decided to put him on TOTW Sierra Mountain. What foods can cause acid reflux and and or make reflux worse? (I Googled but I could only find info on reflux and people. confused)
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 3:53pm PST 
Typically you want to keep them on a low fat/low protein diet. The proteins in the Natural Balance foods are an acceptable level, but TOTW is too high if it's true acid reflux and could cause more flare ups. I also found that grain inclusive foods were actually a good thing because they took longer to digest and stay in the stomach longer, preventing bile acid from building up.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 4:04pm PST 
I'm not sure if he has true Acid Reflux or not. My Google searching tells me that he either has Acid Reflux or IBD . We mentioned to his vet before about this and she said that it sounded like reflux. shrug

He did ok on the TOTW....he would randomly throw up in his mouth hours after eating randomly during the day. We put him on it coz Lily is on it and it's here and we didn't know what else to try with him. On the Natural Balance, he seemed to be doing ok at first, he didn't throw up in his mouth randomly for a while...then he started throwing up in the morning before breakfast.

What's a good protein level to stay at? What are good grains? Aren't some grains better than others? (Well, nutritionally wise at least?)

Some more info:
He had been on Wellness CORE before and he would randomly throw up in the afternoon and have random bouts of loose stool which would only happen like twice a month, the vomiting would happen like 3 times a month. But we think he is allergic to chicken, vet said reflux and to try pepcid. We still thought food allergy because he would get red itchy skin too. So we put him on Natural Balance Venison & Sweet Potato and he did great for about 5 or 6 months and then they changed the formula and he got sick. Loose stools, throwing up in his mouth, acting kind mopey. Tried TOTW and he was ok for a while but he was throwing up in his mouth hours after eating.Mentioned to the vet about him throwing up in his mouth hours after eating and again mentioned reflux and to try pepcid.

Edited by author Sat Oct 1, '11 4:39pm PST

[notify]

Zoe

I just want to- relax

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 4:18pm PST 
Zoe has acid reflux and use to take Famotidine. She currently eats TOTW and no longer takes it. The first month was rough..as she would vomit before dinner every night. She now does great, no more meds! She eats twice a day usually 6-7am and 4-5pm. When Zoe ate Blue Buffalo it was terrible, even Tinker would vomit frequently on BB. I found that bread before bed helped Zoe alot too when the Famotidine wasn't cutting it.

I am unsure if food plays a factor in dogs acid reflux, but hopefully Scruffy will do better on the switch. I do know that with acid reflux the fat in diet matters, as does amount they are eating in one sitting, and speed they are consuming their food.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 7:21pm PST 
My dog recently had gotten acid reflux. Her symptoms were a vomit then swallow sound, foam around the lips, and smacking her lips rapidly. Hers was caused by apple cider vinegar I gave her only a little a day but it began when I did that. My conventional vet said believe it or not that Tums is ok for dogs if she needed it for the acid reflux and that hiccups are also an indication. But I just stopped the ACV (there wasn't a medical disease for I was giving it.) Feeding honey will help protect the esophagus. High vegetables in food maybe could be a factor of causing acid reflux since they're more acidic. Sorry not more help.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 1:06pm PST 
Thanks for the responses! wave

I'm going to keep him on the TOTW for a while, in the mean time I find a different food for him.

A snack before bed really seems to help his tummy at night.

Edited by author Sun Oct 2, '11 1:07pm PST

[notify]
Gus

did someone say- 'cheese'??

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 5:02pm PST 
Gus takes 1/4 Pepcid tablet whenever he has relux flares. Food itself doesn't seem to cause the flare ups, but it is definitely related to the protein and fat levels. I make sure he doesn't get too much of either.

I have him on a good supplement regime. He takes a multivitamin, digestive enzymes, a probiotic, and fish oil. When I miss a day or two of the digestive enzymes and probiotics I notice more tummy issues. As long as he stays on them he rarely has any flare ups.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 5:34pm PST 
Thanks Gus! wave

What protein/fat level do you stay at with Gus?

I had been giving Scruffy probiotics. They don't seem to do much on their own. I haven't tried combining them with enzymes though. thinking
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 6:20pm PST 
They protein/fat levels don't seem much different from either. confused Is there a difference between crude levels vs. minimum levels?

TOTW Sierra Mountain: Protein: 25% Minimum & Fat: 15% Minimum
Natural Balance Lamb & Brown Rice: Crude Protein: 21% & Crude Fat: 12%

Edited by author Sun Oct 2, '11 6:22pm PST

[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 8:55am PST 
From my research, you want to stay under 25% protein, and around 10% fat. Healthy grains would be brown rice and such, whole grains. Pepcid AC or Prilosec can be given, but they didn't help Tanuk any. When he had a really bad flare up that damaged his esophagus, he was on TOTW. After that we went to Natural Balance and feeding three smaller meals a day. Now a year later he's been back on TOTW and seems to be doing okay. Still on three meals a day, and he gets a large biscuit halfway between meals. If we don't do those biscuits, he vomits. Interestingly...he does not vomit if we are not home or if he's staying with friends or family.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2