GO!

Chicken is BAD for dogs?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 6:06pm PST 
So I was kind of eavesdropping on a classmates conversation today. She ended up saying that the vet she worked for said that Chicken was bad for dogs so she doesn't feed anything with chicken in it. Uhm, what? Can anyone else say they've heard this before? I've heard that chicken bones are bad. (Now I know that's only if they're cooked.) But chicken in general? Any reasoning why that might have been said?

P.S. I'm going to LOVE when the Hill's rep comes in and talks to us wink
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 6:21pm PST 
Because chicken in the "default" protein used in most dog foods, and subsequently gets fed to a larger percentage of dogs, it almost makes since that dogs have more issues with it than other protein sources.

Does that make it bad?

Not at all.

Its only bad when ALL you feed your dog over the course of its entire LIFE is a chicken based food.

And people wonder why dogs have allergies to it laugh out loudshrug
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 6:30pm PST 
Conker has issues with too much cooked chicken. Raw chicken is perfectly fine but if he gets a cooked chicken based food for too long he'll begin to itch, loose fur, etc, so a lot of kibbles are out for him. One of the reasons why he eats raw is how cooked chicken affects him.

My other two dogs get Taste of the Wild, some of the formulas do have chicken stuff in them though, but they don't have allergies to it.
[notify]

Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 6:39pm PST 
So is that why some vets may say that it's bad for them? Because dogs have allergic reactions to it? Hmmm. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I guess I kind of understand that.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 6:52pm PST 
it's bizarre a vet would say that, since the VAST majority of commercial dog foods contain chicken. Even the ones sold in vet's offices.

Maybe she misheard or misunderstood? Chicken might be bad for her dog, not all dogs.
[notify]
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 6:54pm PST 
She said the vet said it. And the vet also said that corn is bad as well. so maybe this is a vet that knows SOMETHING about nutrition, although not enough apparently. shrug. I guess she could have misheard but now she refuses to feed her dog anything with chicken in it.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 6:54pm PST 
From a raw feeder pov one might say chicken isn't the best because chicken is not what dogs ancestors ate for prey model. They ate mostly mammals or foul closer to turkey than chicken. That's probably why an all chicken raw diet for dogs would be deficient in many vital nutrients. But yeah, not what your class means when they say chicken is bad for dogs, that allergy myth spread pretty fast, maybe to make corn look more appealing. Wow this is what so many vet students learn huh. Too bad you couldn't find one that wasn't taught by pet food reps and transferred the credits.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 6:55pm PST 
I am old, and back when I was young, beef was THE ingredient in dog food... ALL dog food. But, as time went on, many of the dogs eating beef constantly started developing allergies, so chicken came into vogue. Notice how difficult it now is to find beef dog food???
Now, it seems like the same thing is happening with chicken. I personally try to avoid dog foods with chicken in it as I find that several of my Frenchies in particular DO react badly to chicken with foot chewing and other allergic reactions.
I discuss this with my vet often and he is also urging clients to either avoid chicken OR vary the protein sources often.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 6:59pm PST 
"But, as time went on, many of the dogs eating beef constantly started developing allergies, so chicken came into vogue."

I just saw this blog/vid about why dogs have protein allergies
http://stevesrealfood.com/food-allergies
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 7:03pm PST 
Sorry, that post was a little scatterbrained.

More or less my point was that because the majority of dogs are on a chicken-base food, it makes sense that when a food issue presents itself that chicken gets fingered. Think of it this way- if the majority of dogs with problem "x" (for example, allergies) come into the office and 90% of them are on a chicken food, then its easy enough for them to infer that chicken is causing the problem.

I think what gets neglected here often times is the big picture- that even though the majority of dogs with problem "x" are eating chicken, chicken-eating dogs make up the greater population of dogs PERIOD.

If that makes any sense at all?

Though it is my personal belief that if you limit your dog to only ONE protein source its entire life, then it doesn't matter WHAT the meat source is (again by numbers it is often chicken), you are going to have problems. Including but not limited to allergies, sensitive stomachs, skin and coat issues,etc.

If rabbit was the go-to cheap protein source that was most often used in pet foods (rather than chicken), I'd bet my bottom dollar that you'd be hearing about a LOT more issues with rabbit (a food usually considered "safe" for problem dogs due to how very rare it is in pet foods).

Edited by author Tue Sep 27, '11 7:05pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2