GO!

Cesar dog food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lucky Jenks

Mommies little- foot-warmer

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 8:18pm PST 
I grabbed a can at walmart because it looked good (it smelled pretty good too. I was tempted to see how it tasted but that would just be weird so I didn't.

Anyways is Cesar a good food for small dogs? I saw lots of food that looked like it might be tasty for a little dog like mighty dog and one pedigree or something that had peas and bowtie pasta in it? I thought dogs were not supposed to have table food???
[notify]
Juno

If you can lick- it, it's a- fruit.

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 8:43pm PST 
It's not a horrible food but I personally think it's not worth it. Most of those fancy wet foods are too expensive for what they are. Cesar uses a lot of unnamed meats and some questionable ingredients. I would spend my money on high quality canned foods instead.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 9:58pm PST 
Personally, I would stay as far away from Cesar and Pedigree as possible.

Mediocre/bad quality aside (those pictures on the label sure look nice, but try tuning that can over an actually reading the ingredient list... might be surprised), they are both a product of Mars Petcare, a company with a ridiculously bad track record for recalls. Not a fan.

If you have no choice but to shop grocery store brands, get the Newman's Own line. They aren't too bad.

Or find a less expensive canned diet at a pet-specialty store. Blue Buffalo, Merrick, Canidae, and Taste of the Wild all have can lines that aren't too terribly expensive.

Or do one better, buy him some actual chicken/peas/pasta... then there's no question as to its quality way to go
[notify]

Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 10:32pm PST 
rule of thumb, never trust pretty pictures of flashy advertisements when it comes to pet food. Read the ingredient label, a sure sign of low quality canned food is the presence of byproducts among other things.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Aug 20, '11 8:25pm PST 
Don't recommend it. This dog food is expensive compared to other brands of higher quality. The little trays are gonna cost more than a lot of higher quality canned foods that come in larger cans. I would buy something like chicken soup for the pet lovers soul and put the uneaten portions in the fridge.

I recommend CSFPLS canned foods because they do not have by-products like ceaser and are cheaper.
[notify]
Josefina

My ACD is- tougher then- your [breed]

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 3:21pm PST 
I feed taste of the wild dry & canned, I have a special little container that I put the food in (I only use about an 1/4-1/8 csn a day) if you leave it in the can in the fridge it will go bad faster (something in the metal of the csn makes the food spoil faster). Here are some foods I would try instead of that Cesar crap:
Chicken soup
Blue bufflo
Orjin
4Health (the TSC brand)

A good site to pick a food is www.dogfoodadvisor.com
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 4:44pm PST 
It is not the best food in the world. But if you do not use it as the main part of the food but as like a bit of a treat. You should be fine. I would be sure to use a high quality kibble to mix with the soft food.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 5:06pm PST 
Dogs can have table food. Meat, for example, is perfectly fine and good for the dog. Some vegetables like carrots are okay, too. My dog loves peas. (No grapes, raisins, onions, nuts, chocolate, etc.) Other things like pasta are okay once in a while, but a dogs' digestive system wasn't designed to use carbohydrates.

One reason it's said to avoid table scraps is because in excess it can cause the dog to be overweight unless you adjust his main meal accordingly. And too many table scraps can cause other problems as well.
It's not a complete no-no, however. There are even people who feed their dogs what is considered human food (but is also appropiate for dogs) as their main diet. And that's great as long as they know how to balance it correctly. I feed my dog a diet of raw meat, bones, and organs.

That aside, I agree with the others. Cesar isn't a terrible food, but it's not a great food.

Edited by author Mon Aug 22, '11 5:18pm PST

[notify]
Lucky Jenks

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 4:53pm PST 
@ Mulder I saw Newman's Own at Walmart would that be okay as a long term food or is that just a stepping stone food? I didn't actually look at it I only noticed it because I buy Newman's own salad dressing sometimes
[notify]
Lucky Jenks

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 5:02pm PST 
@ Mulder I saw Newman's Own at Walmart would that be okay as a long term food or is that just a stepping stone food? I didn't actually look at it I only noticed it because I buy Newman's own salad dressing sometimes
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2