GO!

Looking for EXTREMELY low ingredient dog food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 4:19pm PST 
Okay, normally Terra is on frankenprey raw. However, we've hit extremely hard times, and the price of meat has gone up exponentially. So, I'm putting her on kibble again until we can afford raw once more.

That said, she was on raw due to severe allergies. With raw, she was non-reactive, but did show a sensitivity to chicken even in raw form (though she could eat small amounts).

I started her on a bag of Pinnacle Trout & Sweet Potato (this is what worked for our old dog who had severe allergies). Well, it appears Terra can't handle it. She's been on the food for 5 days now and she's starting to do the head shaking she does before her yeast infections start, she's also back to nasty eye boogers, and she just smells.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other foods to try? Ingredients that are out are the following: Chicken, carrots, and possibly sweet potatoes, flax seed, Quinoa, & Oat flower. I think our main problem is the 'filler' and all the veggies in the foods.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 4:41pm PST 
I'm not a fan of Natura after the P&G buyout but what about California Natural?
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 4:53pm PST 
Yeah, California Natural is about as simple as it gets. The only issue is that their grain free, chicken-free options are very low in protein, 21%.

Nature's Variety also came out with a limited ingredient diet. Here's their turkey meal formula:
Turkey Meal, Tapioca, Canola Oil, Peas, Natural Flavor, Montmorillonite Clay, Coconut Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Dried Green Tea, Mixed Tocopherols with Citric Acid (a natural preservative), Rosemary Extract.

"Natural flavor" is a crapshoot.
[notify]

Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 4:57pm PST 
Natural Balance LID. Two ingredients: a meat and a carb. The rest are just vitamins/supplements to make it balanced.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 5:27pm PST 
Nature's Variety just came out with two LID foods in their Instinct line, one is turkey and the other is lamb. AT 29% protein, this is definitely the food I'd go with if I needed to feed a limited ingredient diet. My guys are on the chikcen instinct now and doing great, it's a very good company. Anyways, here's the ingredients for the lamb, the turkey is more or less the same only with turkey instead of lamb:

Lamb Meal, Tapioca, Canola Oil, Peas, Natural Flavor, Montmorillonite Clay, Coconut Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Dried Green Tea, Mixed Tocopherols with Citric Acid (a natural preservative), Rosemary Extract.

You could also try either the sierra mountain (lamb) or pacific stream (salmon) Taste of the Wild formulas. Both are 25% protein and have only the one protein source, although they do use sweet potatoes.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 5:49pm PST 
Maybe do the Natural Balance supplemented with as much fresh meat as you can afford (to up the protein.) I find pork is the cheapest non-chicken meat you can buy (usually) so maybe go with that for a meat portion of her diet. I don't recall seeing that on the no-list for her.

At least so far in my research, I find that unless you're buying free-range, organic, or grass-fed meat, raw is probably cheaper than most really high-quality kibbles out there (most are around 2 dollars a lb, meat is often under that, especially if you shop around.) That's in my area though, I understand prices are not the same everywhere.
[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 6:50pm PST 
The least ingredient food on the market is Ziwi Peak, however that wouldn't really help with the financial part, it's very pricey. Natural Balance LID is probably your best bet. Their 30lb bag usually runs about $50. Since she does not seem to be doing well with a fish based food now, I'd try the lamb, bison, or venison Natural Balance.
[notify]
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Tue May 24, '11 6:50am PST 
Hmmmm.... We've tried Natural Balance in the past (the venison) and I'm pretty sure we had problems on that one. However, I think it may have been the carb source and not the protein source. So, I think it really may be the sweet potatoes - I'm not convinced it's the fish. Think we may have to try California Natural for right now. If I can track down their venison formula that might be viable. I know our local feed store sells CA Natural, but I'm not sure what 'flavors' they have.
[notify]
Copernicus

Copee Copes

Barked: Tue May 24, '11 7:54am PST 
California Natural makes 3 GF foenulas: Lamb, Venision, or Chicken Formula. Venision is the most expensive one.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue May 24, '11 8:19am PST 
Not sure of the prices of meat where you live, but would a homecooked diet be cheaper? With beef, vegetables, grain and ground bonemeal/eggshell? The vegs and grain would make it cheaper than raw I think. Meat directly from a supply house or co-op would be less expensive than supermarket. IDK just a suggestion, so many other ingredients in dog food besides protein to consider like the chemicals and source of vitamins, soy, etc.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2