GO!

Exer-Hide - is this true?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed May 18, '11 9:30am PST 
I keep reading warnings on forums about Exer-Hide rawhide causing seizures in dogs. But when I try to search to find the original source or verify it, all I can find are forums passing it on (they say from 2007). Does anyone know if this was true? Because I think then if one rawhide is capable of causing seizures, others may be too, and that might help many dogs with epilepsy or one time seizure if they had such a rawhide...
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu May 19, '11 1:48pm PST 
Isn't that the one sold at Wal-mart? Not something most Dogsters would buy anyway. Honestly if you cannot find one iota of info about it on google it's probably nothing.

I also cannot imagine how rawhide could possibly cause seizures unless they bast it with some crazy toxic chemical. I think this was probably one of those myths or misunderstandings.
[notify]
Bella

Rub my Belly!

Barked: Thu May 19, '11 5:08pm PST 
Considering what Sherpa said I feel stupid for admitting this but I have a half used bag of Exer-Hide Rawhides in my dog closet, and this is not the first bag I have bought. My dogs have never had any problems whatsoever, not even diarrhea. I would say on a bad week, meaning I was unable to be home as much as possible, they would get 2. I will be throwing them away and just buying more nylabones, I like them better because I can leave them out all the time, but I just wanted to say that I have never had a problem with them making any of my dogs sick or visiting dogs that have gotten them.
[notify]

Adam

Barked: Thu May 19, '11 6:36pm PST 
The problem is I find HUNDREDS of google searches on it! But they are all warnings on dog groups and forums, I don't know where it started. All rawhides have chemicals in them like peroxide for ex. I didn't know if this used something else.shrug

Bella, yeah maybe it is only dogs prone to seizures already who had seizures, no idea since I can't find a reputable info!
[notify]
Bella

Rub my Belly!

Barked: Thu May 19, '11 7:15pm PST 
Adam, I agree. After I read your post I went to look at the rawhides and then went back to the computer to search. All I put in was Exer...and tons of different forums and people saying stay away from them.

I looked at the ingredients and saw nothing out of the usual...are pesticides and such that are used on foods listed??? I know recently I was researching about ground beef and learned that ammonia was used in some fillers but they don't have to list it because they say it is a process and not an ingredient, so guessing the same with this type of stuff.

I saw on a website that as of May 2011 they were still trying to find evidance to prove this about the rawhides. I will be staying away from them, even though my dogs have had no problems with them, now that I know my mind will make me think they are sick even if they are not.
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Thu May 19, '11 7:30pm PST 
Bella yeah I've read that about ground beef, although possibly store-made ground or butcher ground beef don't use the ammonia, but only brands do. I have no idea if that is true or not, but that's what a few people said.

Also chicken is covered in chemicals, like Tyson. It stinks because I feed a raw diet because I didn't WANT to worry about chemicals!

Anyway, I'd try emailing the makers of exer-hide but I'm sure I wouldn't get an honest answer if there is any contamination. They don't need to list in the ingredients the bleach and all.frown
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri May 20, '11 1:34pm PST 
Bella - don't feel bad, I knew what they were and who sold them. wink I wouldn't discontinue if your dogs enjoy them and have never had a problem. I think there's too much hysteria sometimes.

Adam - you'd have to buy organic raw to be safe, and even then, who knows.
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Fri May 20, '11 1:39pm PST 
It's not hysteria when you've had a dog with epilepsy like I did, and need to know what can trigger a seizure. There are many things. But I also thought besides epi dogs, that if any dog ever had a one-time seizure, rawhides may be why. Seizures can kill, so it's important to know what foods and treats are using chemicals that can cause them.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri May 20, '11 2:07pm PST 
Adam - Tanuk has epilepsy. I know there are a myriad of triggers, but much like bloat risks, there are things we're just not sure about. I'm of the opinion that I would rather my pets live a happy fulfilled life, rather than limit them and shelter them on the off chance something bad might happen.
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Fri May 20, '11 2:32pm PST 
My dogs don't get rawhides (whether seizures or not) and they are definately not lacking or living a sheltered life, with kongs and bully sticks galore!

I know you see this as hysteria, and trying to minimize it, but there might be a dog owner out there trying to wonder why their dog had a seizure, who may never even think about rawhides or other food with chemicals in it. It's a possibility to be aware of, that's all, not something to freak out over.

All I wanted to know about this particular brand is whether all the claims on the dog forums are true, or just spreading like a chain mail or something. Many things may cause seizures but if this ONE is causing them almost all the time, then that's something to know about.

I protect my dogs from toxic substances or foods that can hurt them, and they are very happy and living life to the fullest still. They go outside every day normally twice a day off leash not in bubbles, they eat the foods that are healthy, they get treats, and they play games. If Exer-hide has a history of causing seizures in epileptic dogs or healthy dogs, that's pretty important.

Edited by author Fri May 20, '11 2:39pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3