GO!

Ph balanced dog food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Shiloh

The Boss

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 5:42pm PST 
Shiloh has a high ph of 8 and is forming crystals in her urine because of it. I need to find a good quality diet that is ph balanced and does not have chicken in it. Does anyone know of such a food? Thanks in advance for the help.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 6:06pm PST 
Has the urine been cultured from a sterile needle sample, not just checked for bacteria? Almost all the time high pH is caused by an UTI. Almost all the time any good quality food is fine for struvite crystal formers.

Until you figure out the new food just float the kibble to dilute the urine. That will help the situation.
[notify]
Shiloh

The Boss

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 6:23pm PST 
No I haveNt had a culture sent out. A slide of her urine under a microscope shows no rbc's or no wbc's( red blood cells and white blood cells) just crystals. So no sign of infection She had an infection months ago when this all started but it has since cleared up. When i was feeding her royal canin so her ph went to a normal level and she no longer had crystals, but she's allergic to the chicken in it and it's not a good food. I was told by the dr at my work to get a ph balanced food. So I need to find a food fitting that profile.

Edited by author Thu Feb 24, '11 6:40pm PST

[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 10:05pm PST 
Timeline goes,
First. UTI detected. Antibiotics given. Prescription food at that time as well?
Second. At recheck no RBC or WBC detected in urine so apparently infection vanquished.
Third. Urine returned to a healthy pH while prescription kibble was fed. Currently pH is at a good level.

How did I do? If I got this right you are just fine feeding any good food you care to. High pH is caused by the bacterial load, not the food. If urine pH increases it almost always is due to an infection and has nothing to do with the food.

Have you seen this article?
http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjstruvites.html
[notify]
Shiloh

The Boss

Barked: Fri Feb 25, '11 6:19am PST 
Nope timeline is wrong. She currently has a ph of 8.5 which was as of yesterday when I ran her urine at work. 1st urine she had an infection and a huge overabundance of crystals, struvite mostly. Second urine rechecked after the antibiotics was good, still a slightly high ph though, while feeding the so for 2 weeks. Third urine was back to crystals again but once again no sign of infection no red blood cells or white blood cells seen under the microscope. I had stopped the so due to her being extremely itchy on it. So we started her on cranberry supplements and uroeze to lower the ph. Next urine crystals were still present with a high 8 ph again, but still no signs of infection under the microscope. Upped the uroeze dose. Then the last urine, still +++ struvite crystals, upped the uroeze again and she recommended a different food, currently I'm feeding california natural lamb and rice. And yes she has had an x ray to rule out stones. So should i just send s culture out on her? Neither of the drs at my work have recommended this. Thanks for the help.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Feb 25, '11 7:30am PST 
Thanks for clarifying! I would send in a sterile urine sample. I read K9KidneyDiet, a yahoo group, as Sassy was a kidney dog and there I read that UTI can be very difficult to detect as the sample needs to catch stray bacteria when the infection is on the bladder wall. A good long culture is best but difficult to get labs to do.
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Fri Feb 25, '11 1:23pm PST 
I have a Solid Gold catalogue at home and I know in there it states the dog's expected urine PH on each of their foods. None of them have chicken either. See if you can find a Solid Gold retailer near you or request a catalogue!!! Otherwise I can look for you when I get home.

Moisture is still uber-important though. Lots of canned food or floating kibble!!!!
[notify]
Shiloh

The Boss

Barked: Fri Feb 25, '11 6:12pm PST 
Yeah I'm floating her food now I'm gonna try the increase in meds and a new food and recheck the ph at home and see if that helps. If not then I'm gonna do the culture. Solid gold isn't sold around here, though I'm sure the lady at the pet store could order it for me. But if you can find another one that's supposed to be good for a high ph let me know please. Thanks again.
[notify]