GO!

High quality foods for dogs with struvite crystals?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Frannie

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 6:45pm PST 
Hi everyone,

We just adopted Frannie and saw the vet for the first time. Her labs looked good other than struvite crystals in her urine, and the vet suggested Hill's Prescription diet c/d. I've done some research into foods and feel a little overwhelmed. I want to give her the highest quality food I can, but I can't find any that say they are suited to dogs with this problem. My vet wasn't too helpful with suggestions.

Ultimately, I love this dog and just want to do the best for her. I was hoping that folks with more experience that me might have some suggestions.

Thanks so much!
[notify]
❀Boswell❀

Life is good...- and so are pig- ears.

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 7:01pm PST 
Frannie, if I have learned anything in the last year or so that I've been on Dogster, it is that you will get help. I hope you find a good food. If your vet can't help much, try to go to another vet just to see if they may have more suggestions if you don't find help here. I am sure you have Checked out Blue Buffalo... I love the food but I'm not sure if it would be good for you. Also, have you considered a homemade diet? I really don't know... I am sure there is somefur far more knowledgeable than me that will find this thread. Good Luck!!!
[notify]
Frannie

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 7:05pm PST 
Thank you! I appreciate the moral support and thoughts. There are so many different foods out there...it's unbelievable.
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 9:25pm PST 
Here is some information on struvites.
http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjstruvites.html

Sa ssy had them once when she had an urinary tract infection. That is the cause of almost all of these crystals. The UTI causes the urine to go alkaline and the crystals precipitate out of the urine.

Stale, concentrated or cooled urine will precipitate crystals too. I spent extra money to have Max's urine spun inhouse to be sure he really didn't have crystals.

UTI are often extremely difficult to detect. The infection is on the wall of the bladder and it is only free floating bacteria that might be caught in a sample. A sterile sample needs to be taken and it needs to be cultured for as long as possible so the correct antibiotic can be prescribed. Then another sterile sample needs to be taken a few days after the antibiotic treatment is finished to be certain the infection is gone. Both times Sassy had an UTI she required two courses of antibiotics.

Concentrated urine is more apt to precipitate crystals so forcing fluids will help. The script kibble has plenty of sodium so the dog is thirsty and drinks a lot. Or you could float most any kibble in lots of water or homemade broth. The script kibble also has a precise balance of minerals designed to reduce the elements of all the common crystals. While a noble goal it is difficult to believe this works for all dogs and all crystals!

I would force fluids, Sassy needed a quart of water a day minimum for her 44 pounds, and feed a high quality kibble with lots of meat protein that will promote acidic urine. I would have a fresh sterile sample taken by needle at the office and have it spun inhouse and a culture taken.
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 10:44pm PST 
Allee had some crystals that showed up in her urinalysis also.

My vet and the vet tech told me not to be too concerned with a food switch just yet but to make sure she is getting plenty of water. Her urine was also very concentrated.

I have started adding water on her kibble to give her extra. I have noticed she doesn't drink as much water as the boys.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Wed Feb 2, '11 7:59am PST 
From what I've read it seems a high meat protein/fat kibble is recommended with a LOT of fluids. You could try pretty much any high protein grain-free kibble. I'd recommend checking out this list of foods from Dog Food Advisor.

Grain-free dry food list

Several sites recommend a canned diet for the added moisture, but that's sort of expensive, I think if you can soak the kibble in as much water as possible that'd be the way to get some moisture in. You could also try some other tips for increased water intake, including putting some chicken broth in the water, making chicken borth.water ice cubes, etc. Best of luck!

Edited by author Wed Feb 2, '11 8:00am PST

[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Wed Feb 2, '11 8:10am PST 
It's not quite the same thing but this is what I have done with my dals...they are genetically prone to stones, so to be proactive I have them on a good quality grain free kibble, I add a canned topper for extra moisture, I give them alot of ice for treats - my dogs love ice. You can also add a bit of chicken broth to their water to encourage them to drink more. Also, if possible, take them out frequently to pee, holding it for long periods of time can also cause issues.
[notify]
Frannie

Barked: Wed Feb 2, '11 9:41am PST 
Thanks to everyone for all the great responses. I appreciate all the help.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Feb 2, '11 3:11pm PST 
got to www.dogfoodadvisor.com to begin researching brands. You should go look at what they have for

HIlls C/D (so everyone knows)

Ingredients: Whole grain corn, pork fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, soybean mill run, chicken liver flavor, calcium sulfate, soybean oil, flaxseed, iodized salt, l-lysine, choline chloride, dicalcium phosphate, vitamins (l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement), vitamin E supplement, taurine, potassium chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), preserved with mixed tocopherols & citric acid, phosphoric acid, beta-carotene, rosemary extract

Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 2.7%
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Feb 2, '11 3:12pm PST 
double sorryred face

Edited by author Wed Feb 2, '11 3:12pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2