GO!

Copper Sulfate Alert

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

  
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dozer ~ CGC

Life is about- clicking and- sleeping
 
 
Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 11:16am PST 
Hey Dogsters,
I just investigated a weird chemical I found in the back of my dog's food (Taste of the Wild), Copper Sulfate. It is considered TOXIC for use. It attacks this heart, liver, and kidneys. When humans are handling this, they are required to use protective clothing such as gloves, boots, and goggles. It is listed as moderately poisonous and is ingested by my dog on a DAILY basis.

I am calling my dog food company and asking them why this is in their food and informing them that I am switching to a poison-free product.

Here is a link, go to Toxicological effects and Medical use for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%28II%29_sulfate

Someon e once told me that the mineral content is so small that it won't affect my dog. If is is so small, then why it it listed on the 6 row out of 9? If it is in there, it should be the last and least ingredient. In fact, poison shouldn't be in my dog's food AT ALL.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains
 
 
Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 1:09pm PST 
The toxic dose for a non-copper storing dog is 20mg/kg. There is a genetic disease in some dogs causing an overstorage of copper requiring that they be on a diet that has little to no copper sulfate HOWEVER this is pretty rare.

I have never seen a dog food that comes anywhere close to dosing a pet at 20mg/kg.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains
 
 
Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 1:28pm PST 
This is why Copper is important for dogs in small amounts
(From The Dog Food Project @ www.dogfoodproject.com)
"Copper
Effects: bone growth and maintenance, conversion of iron into hemoglobin, immune function.
Deficiency: loss of hair and skin color, anemia, improper bone formation.
Toxicity: Liver damage.
Note: Some dog breeds are prone to copper storage disease, an inability to utilize and store copper properly. This can result in liver disease and other problems. It is important to watch the level of copper intake of these dogs and avoid additional amounts in supplements.
Sources: whole wheat, beef liver, nuts, beans, seeds, shellfish."

Also which TOTW are you feeding - most of the formulas I checked listed it close to the bottom.
[notify]

Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!
 
 
Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 11:47am PST 
I have to agree with Dozer. Copper is definitely important to a dog's diet, but Copper Sulfate is a cheap substitute for the real thing. It has been shown to be corrosive to metal, and people who handle it are supposed to wear goggles, gloves, and a type of haz-mat suit. The ingredient is listed way near the bottom in most foods, but it's still there. It's probably not a huge deal but I just wouldn't want to take the risk of having something like that in any food for Holly.
[notify]
Dunkin

976216
 
 
Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 5:19pm PST 
Wow Dozer, did you contact the company?
[notify]
Dozer ~ CGC

Life is about- clicking and- sleeping
 
 
Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 5:15pm PST 
Yes, I actually did...

Hello,
I am concerned at the use of Copper Sulfate in your brands. Copper Sulfate is moderately toxic and protective gear is required when handling it. It attacks the heart, liver, and kidneys. Although it is not toxic in small doses, ingesting it on a daily basis will cause a greater chance of liver problems later in life.

Another supplement that is beneficial and can be used in place of Copper Sulfate is Copper Proteinate. I am seriously considering switching to another brand that does not include Copper Sulfate. I like Taste of the Wild and I hope that you will soon switch to something less toxic.

-

I'll post their response when they send it.
[notify]
Dunkin

976216
 
 
Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 4:30pm PST 
I am not a fan of TOTW myself, but i thought at least they could have given you some kind of explaination or something here. This does nto sound good at all.
[notify]
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!
 
 
Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 11:48pm PST 
I'm right with you there Dunkin. I got really excited when I first switched Holly over to TOTW, since it was so much better than her previous food (Kirkland brand Lamb and Rice). Then I did some research and found out about the Copper Sulfate. Several days later she got switched to raw.

I'm probably overreacting but I've also noticed Copper Sulfate in a lot of the other better brands. It's kind of a pity that most of the manufacturers seem so much more interested in their profit than in the health of the dogs. confused
[notify]
Dozer ~ CGC

Life is about- clicking and- sleeping
 
 
Barked: Thu Dec 16, '10 12:05pm PST 
I just received a reply back-


Thank you for your inquiry.

Copper sulfate is an AAFCO approved source of copper, which is required in commercial pet foods. Any mineral is hazardous in large quantities, but when added at appropriate levels, minerals are critical nutrients for optimal health and wellness.

Sincerely,

Melissa Brookshire, DVM

-

I'm switching Dozer to raw. I just finished reading Food Pets Die For, and I've lost all faith in anything kibble.
[notify]
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!
 
 
Barked: Thu Dec 16, '10 2:53pm PST 
I'm still extremely suspicious. Firstly, the AAFCO has little to no control over the Pet Food industry. The companies can comply if they want to, but it isn't necessary.

Secondly, Copper Sulfate, which is a substitute for actual copper, is added to most of the feed given to the animals which are used in commercial pet foods. The substance is not broken down in the making of the pet food. (the temperature does not get hot enough) Then more of it is added to the food. There is way more of it in pet food than the manufacturers will admit.

I decided to contact them, here's a copy of my letter. I sound a little short, but I'm fed up with responses that don't answer my questions:

To Whom it May Concern,

I has recently come to my attention that Taste of the Wild uses the substance Copper Sulfate is substitution for the actual mineral of Copper. Protective gear is often required while handling and it can cause heart, liver, and kidney problems.

I understand that you use this substance in small quantities which are assumed to be harmless to the dog, but it is still quite disturbing to me that a high quality brand such as yours does not use something less toxic.

Another question I have is about the livestock you use in your pet food. Do these animals eat feed made with Copper Sulfate? Do the temperatures you cook the meat at completely break down the substance? (My understanding is that Copper Sulfate breaks down at temperatures upwards of 300 degrees.) If you do not know the contents of the livestock's feed, have you ever made an effort to find out?

Several other questions concerning your products: Do you get your meat from a rendering plant or from a slaughterhouse? To your knowledge do you use the 4-D's (dead, dying, diseased, disabled)? Where do you produce your products? Do you share a manufacturing plant with any other companies? If so which ones? Have your foods ever had to be recalled for any reason? Are any of the materials that you use in your food made in another country? You say that you use only natural preservatives, what are they? It sounds like you get your meat meals from companies other than your own, who are these companies? Have you ever tested your products for traces of the euthanasia drug Sodium Pentobarbital?

In addition to all of these, I also have some questions regarding the use of carbohydrates in dog foods. On your FAQ's page, you seem to state that if you did not use them, you would have to use something else. What would you use? Why don't you get rid of Carbohydrates, since they are not a requirement for a dog?

I am aware that the AAFCO allows the use of many rather disturbing ingredients, such as hydrolyzed hair, spray-dried animal blood, dehydrated food waste, dehydrated garbage, dehydrated paunch products, dried poultry waste, dried swine waste, and undried processed animal waste product. Do you knowingly use any of these ingredients in your food? Have you contacted your meal manufacturers to make sure that they are not putting any of these ingredients in your food?

Lastly, do you preform testing of your diet on any animals? What sort of conditions are these animals kept in and what kind of experiments are performed?

I apologize if I seem cynic, but I feel that oftentimes the consumer can not get a straight answer from the pet food companies.

Thank you for your time,
Kat

---

It'll be interesting to hear their reply.

Edited by author Thu Dec 16, '10 3:39pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2