GO!

Good Quality, Low Cost Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 12:51pm PST 
Iams has a rotten quality control record. They also refused a recall until forced knowing full well that they had a contamination issue.
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 8:47pm PST 
Oh, didn't know that. Iams was recommended to me for the reasons I stated. Guess I'll stop recommending them for now. :/

Thanks for bringing that up, Sabi.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 4:48pm PST 
Clyde, nothing against you.laugh out loud I believe it was melamine? back in 2007 or so. An acquaintances dog died as a result. They knew about it but refused a voluntary recall. Refused to settle on vet bills and ended up in a class action lawsuit brought by a few hundred pet owners.
In the history of the company they have had more recalls then any company I can think of.
Also not sure where you are but here Iams is pretty pricey, which just annoys me.
And Walmart's dog foods, can't recall the name, which I thought looked pretty decent is made by them and I really had to dig to find that out which annoys me as well.
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 7:20pm PST 
Oh man, those big name foods around here are not cheap. A 30lb bag of Beneful costs the same or more than a 40lb bag of Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. Now, DN isn't the best around, their track record sucks, but when it comes down to DN or Beneful or some other grocery brand, I'm going with DN. It's a lot healthier than grocery brands.
Iams, Pro Plan, Science Diet, etc. are all more expensive as well. It's ridiculous.

Edited by author Sun Apr 28, '13 7:20pm PST

[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 1:04pm PST 
If you find that in your area you have a local Tractor Supply Company, they sell a brand called 4Health. In my area I have two stores and the quality of 4Health is worth searching one out. The ingredients list is very acceptable and they even offer grain free varieties. The food is also inexpensive ($25 for their large bag, roughly). It's worth checking out. I feed Firefly the grain free beef.
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 3:57pm PST 
Taste of the Wild Wetlands has been my new favorite. I switch between the different varieties occasionally, but my dogs love the taste of the Wetlands variety and they have thrived on it. In my area, I can get a 30 lb bag for $45. I used to like Diamond Naturals (my vet recommended it as a cheap and decent food). You can get a 40 lb bag for around $35. And it's way better than the trash in grocery stores. I switched to taste of the wild cuz my new puppy seemed to be having issues with the grains. I'd recommend either brand.

Other cheap, good brands as mentioned before are 4Health (tractor supply store) and Whole Earth Farms (you can get it at petco but its cheaper online). You can get a 30-35 lb bag for under $40. Taste of the wild is probably the best grain free food you can get for your money though.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 5:10am PST 
dog walk above the spam.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3