GO!

Is cottage cheese okay for dogs?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Tue Oct 5, '10 3:07pm PST 
A long time ago I heard that cottage cheese is good for dogs so I have been occasionally adding cottage cheese into Pepsie's kibble. I give her cottage cheese about once a month or sometimes once every two months. I gave Pepsie cottage cheese in her kibble and she gobbled it down(like always). Is this okay and is this healthy?dog
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue Oct 5, '10 3:11pm PST 
Yeah, its fine for dogs. I don't know if it given any significant benefit (like probiotics from yogurt).

Daisy like kongs with a mix of cottage cheese, apple sauce, and yogurt (or p-nut butter).
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Tue Oct 5, '10 3:11pm PST 
As long as she isn't lactose intolerant, yes, cottage cheese is great for dogs! I'd give it to Winnie, but the picky goose doesn't care for cottage cheese on her kibble *rolls eyes*
[notify]

Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Tue Oct 5, '10 3:18pm PST 
Haha Winnie just might be more pickier than Pepsie and that is a good idea to put cottage cheese in a kong toy!
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Tue Oct 5, '10 4:54pm PST 
O ya cottage cheese is great! Its extra calcium and there is nothing wrong about that.
[notify]
Mojo

Where\'s the- jumps?

Barked: Wed Oct 6, '10 9:31am PST 
I give cottage cheese to our girls in their food after they whelp puppies...they LOVE it. I've also used it for picky eaters...just watch for tummy upset way to go
[notify]
Smokey

Time for a nap

Barked: Thu Oct 7, '10 4:13pm PST 
It's excellent. I give Smokey the lowfat cottage cheese. About a tablespoon as a treat or in her kibble.
[notify]
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Thu Oct 7, '10 4:24pm PST 
In general it won't hurt anything except large breed puppies. Most puppy chows, even the large breed ones have near the maximum calcium they should have. Too much calcium can ruin a dog's hips.

What is good for dogs and people is a complete and balanced diet and not too much of it. Even is somebody made a people food as good for them as dog chow is for dogs, it would never sell. People demand a variety and often insist on eating too much carbohydrates, salt, and fats rather then veggies and cottage cheese that has things they need too. So the things we don't eat enough of are ''good'' for us. If your puppy was eating a diet short in calcium, protein, and whatever else is in ottage cheese, then cheese would be ''good'' for it. If your puppy is eating a complete and balanced puppy chow, then cottage cheese or anything else that isn't a complete and balance diet really does not improve its diet.
[notify]
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Thu Oct 7, '10 6:01pm PST 
is cottage cheese fattening?
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Fri Oct 8, '10 12:21am PST 
Any food can potentially be fattening...depending on the dogs overall caloric intake. You've got to factor in the cottage cheese calories along with whatever else is in your dog's diet.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2