GO!

Gravy Train!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Spot

Boomer Did It

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 1:27pm PST 
I've noticed at work, many more people are feeding Gravy Train to their pets. I mean how can something that comes in a 20# bag for $6 NOT be good?*facepalm*

Thoughts?
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 1:44pm PST 
I'm scared to ask what Gravy Train is?!

ETA: But on second thought I'm assuming it's meant to be eaten.. scary but a 20lb bag of corn chips is more than $6...

Edited by author Fri Jun 18, '10 1:45pm PST

[notify]
Zackintosh- CJ

befolgen Sie und- vertrauen Sie- mit Liebe

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 2:02pm PST 
Gravy Train is the lowest of low dog foods, IMO. I -sadly- fed it to my JRT when she was a puppy, got it at Dollar General of all places.
red face
I do wish dog food was cheaper though!
[notify]

Spot

Boomer Did It

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 2:04pm PST 
Lilith, I'll give you a hint. The fifth ingredient is *salt* and when you mix it with water, it forms a gravy....mMMmshock
[notify]
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 2:09pm PST 
Yuck! This food looks terrible:

Corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, animal fat, animal digest, salt, cellulose gum, caramel color, potassium chloride, bone phosphate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), dried beef stock, red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 2, BHA (preservative), tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative).

Wikipedia says: "The gravy supposedly makes the food more palatable for the dog". Which ingredient makes it more palatable? Is it the colouring dyes or the corn? BOL!
[notify]
Spot

Boomer Did It

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 2:11pm PST 
But you can get a whole can for $.50!! (oh and I guess Salt is the 6th ingredient) lol my bad.shrug

ok sorry for all the sarcasm. I just can't believe that even in THIS economy...as bad as it is, this looks remotely appetizing. Salt as the 6th ingredient?? Hypertension, Heart problems, Kidney issues anyone?? Nevermind the rest of the ingredients. I don't know. I just think ew.

And the part that really gets me is that if you let it sit in water long enough, it makes it's own gravy. That's just ick IMO...eeeeeeeeeeew. It should only make gravy if it's meat in a crockpot stewing for 5 hours with some carrots and onions..mMMm I think I'll make that for dinner (for us, not the dogs lol)

Edited by author Fri Jun 18, '10 2:16pm PST

[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 3:38pm PST 
It's too bad they call things like that food and package in a colorful bag - heck, Beneful's bag is downright pretty. It should be 'Stange Substance Capable of Possibly Keeping a Dog Alive'.

Spot, it's too hot here for your yummy sounding dinner. BTW, I had a Siberian live 14 1/2 very active years eating kibble for breakfast and what our family ate for dinner. I can still see the line of peas on the edge of her placemat. She licked the stew gravy off and left the peas in a nice row.
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 4:37pm PST 
Ive never heard of gravy train looks icky though. Merrick kibble from what I hear makes a gravy when you add a little water to it. My dogs are eating Merrick now actually. But I only tried the gravy thing once and wasnt impressed. Maybe I did it wrong just looked like runny slightly brown water to me. My dogs like the food better on its own anyways.
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 5:46pm PST 
I am going to show my age, but i remember the commercial when i was young with the covered wagon running through the house and the dog would chase into the kitchen. I have not seen it in so long , i did not think they made it anymore.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 6:30pm PST 
Dunkin, I think you're thinking of Chuck Wagon. Video
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2