GO!

When did Acana change it's formula?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Murphy

Barked: Thu Mar 25, '10 11:07am PST 
What about whole eggs? My baby is also allergic to chicken but can tolerate chicken fat. I've been wanting to try Acana Grasslands but it says it contains whole eggs & I'm not sure if the eggs will trigger his allergy.
[notify]
Mickey

Barked: Thu Mar 25, '10 11:37am PST 
I think I heard the same about eggs. They are not the same as chicken.
Can you ask at your whole food pet store?
Here is a thread with some suggestions and examples on the Yorkir Forum I started
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yorkie-health-diet/197966- curious-about-allergies-chicken-turkey-duck-included.html
[notify]
Murphy

Barked: Thu Mar 25, '10 4:06pm PST 
I'm on YT every day - I will check your link. Thank you!!
[notify]

Mazzy

S-S-S-SQUIRREEEL- LLL!!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 25, '10 10:28pm PST 
I'll investigate the chicken fat thing - thanks guys!!

And...

An ***UPDATE***

I got a reply from Champion foods. I accidently deleted the reply on my phone which deletes it in my email inbox as well, and unfortunately - when deleting from the phone - it doesn't show up in the "trash" folder either.

Still, I can tell you what they said (paraphrased): They said their food DID have a formula change to add in chicken fat. They also said that MOST of the old bags (the actual bag, not the food) were destroyed but not all of them and that some old bags are still in circulation with the NEW formula in them so even though chicken fat is NOT listed on my bag in the ingredients, it is still in there.

------

Honeslty I think that's a little wierd, but as I only bought a trial bag, Maz had no ill effects or anything. I did think that all foods - even pet foods - sold in the United States HAD to have proper ingredients labelling though so that's the part that I'm finding a bit strange. Basically, bottom line is that for the time being you can't trust what's on the label of a Acana Grasslands bag and that's likely no good for anyone - the company included.
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 3:45am PST 
I've seen a few companies do this lately. In the name of being kinder to the environment they choose to finish their old packaging despite having formula changes. Since the pet food isn't so regulated they can get away with this.

BTW, chicken eggs don't contain chicken. They're the food and environment for the potential chicken, should the egg be fertilized and incubated.
[notify]
Orpheus

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 9:59am PST 
I know this is an old thread, but I am dealing with the same question all over again 2 years later. I researched online and chose Acana Grasslands after reading the ingredients on the Acana website (they did NOT list chicken fat). I bought a trial bag locally yesterday, and when I looked at it today - it says chicken fat on it. Either they are years slow at updating their website, or they have changed the formula again. Ugh... waiting to hear back from them.
[notify]
Orpheus

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 10:33am PST 
I received a response very quickly! What it boils down to is this: They changed their Grasslands formulation:

"The diets changed in June of this year, so both bags you have will be fine (date wise) to feed. Basically the big changes to Grasslands consisted of increasing the amount fresh meat in the diet, removing chicken fat and replacing it with duck fat, and replacing the salmon meal with duck meal."

Just keep in mind that currently there may be some of the old formulation still floating around...
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 12:23pm PST 
To add to the wealth of knowledge already shared by others... Companies are also able to change their formulas without changing their bags for 6 mos. So it's also *possible* that they've changed the formula to include it, but are within the 6 month grace period and have not changed their bags.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 12:24pm PST 
Nevermind... I just read the second page of replies and see that Champion confirmed what I was suggesting! AND that this was an old thread...lol

Edited by author Fri Nov 16, '12 12:25pm PST

[notify]
Jack

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 2:42pm PST 
So I know this is an old thread but just in case anyone is looking Orijen and Acana just had a warehouse fire so its going to be difficult to get these brands for the time being. I know because my dog eats Orijen and I've been hoarding dog food like its been going out of business.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3