GO!

How many calories does my dog need?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Twinkie

My little pink- lawn dart

Barked: Tue Dec 15, '09 3:34pm PST 
I've been feeding my dog boiled chicken, white rice, chicken broth and a tad of pumpkin. She likes it so much better than dog food. She weighs 13 lbs. and is 14 months old. How many calories does she need a day? I don't want to under feed her.
Thanks
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Dec 15, '09 4:40pm PST 
That really doesn't sound like a nutritionally complete meal. Commercial chicken broth in particular usually has onion in it, which is toxic to dogs. The dogs over in the home cooking forum can probably be a bit more helpful on how to balance your dog's meals.
[notify]
Twinkie

Barked: Tue Dec 15, '09 4:53pm PST 
I've been over to that forum a lot. I've started off with boiled chicken and rice because she's sick. I'm waiting a bit to start adding things like carrots, sweet potatoes etc. I'm not sure how many calories for her. I was used to my 65 lb. Husky now I have 13 lb. diva.
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Dec 15, '09 5:24pm PST 
Ahh! Okay then. Hope this helps: http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/mer.htm
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Dec 15, '09 6:04pm PST 
She needs as many as she needs. Evaluate her body condition every week or so. You should be able to feel her ribs and back bone but not see them. There should be a waist and a tuck up. My starting point for Sassy was 20 calories per pound. 44 pound Sassy needs more than 880 calories a day. 38 pound Maxwell needs fewer than 760 calories a day. But they didn't starve or get tummy aches starting there.

Your recipe sounds exactly how I started feeding cooked food. Try adding 1 ounce of beef liver per pound of chicken. Try switching meats as chicken isn't as nutritious as beef or pork and variety is good anyway. Use more meat than rice and fat is good for dogs, use the skin. Add 1/2 tsp of ground up egg shell per pound of meat and put that egg in the food as well. Sassy is back to getting pumpkin, she seems to need the fiber it provides right now.

I just posted to another thread that Sassy is hungrier right now. Be flexible and feed more or less depending on how the dog is doing. I just cooked another batch of rice to add more calories to my hungry old girl's already made up meals.
[notify]
Twinkie

Barked: Wed Dec 16, '09 12:22pm PST 
Thank you. I bought some new foods for her today, salmon, green beans, sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, carrots, apples, brown rice. I'll add things slowly to make sure she doesn't have a reaction to anything.

I'm so scared of red meat. My Sibe had intestinal problems. I was always having to make him chicken and rice, no other meat because it was harder for him to digest. I spent over a year doing that. He died 3 weeks ago from an intestinal disease, I guess I'm so scared about it happening again. He was the love of my life and now I have a little sick girl to take care of. Needless to say, I'm a very nervous parent.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Wed Dec 16, '09 12:38pm PST 
Twinkie, I understand your concerns and feel your pain. Before my two little guys, I had a Mal-mix for sixteen years. He had all sorts of intestinal issues as a pup, and it was only solved when at about five or six months old, at my vet's advice, I put him on a raw food diet. Cleared things right up.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know - you're not the only one. Nordic breeds are notorious for sensitive tummies -and hopefully Twinkie will not be the same way. Once she gets rid of this kennel cough, hopefully that will be the end of her issues. But trust me, Sassy will not steer you wrong. She is the home cooking guru of Dogster, as far as I'm concerned! smile
[notify]
Roxy Rapheal

You Are What You- Eat!

Barked: Sun Jan 23, '11 6:38pm PST 
Canine Intestinal Problems?
Read about helping your pets who have GI tract & other similar problems at http://www.nzymes.com
As for the Best Foods to feed your dog and a whole lot of other very informative information, try
http://www.dogfoodproject.com
[notify]
Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Sun Jan 23, '11 7:01pm PST 
I'm not sure about calorie requirements for growing dogs(young dogs). But if she is at her full weight she should be getting about 396kcals per day.
If you are doing homecooked its a little hard to know the calories, it is probably easier to do trial and error to see what works best for her.
[notify]